1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa 400+ or 400?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by babuska, Apr 7, 2006.

1. babuska

babuska

Nov 14, 2005
    Finland
    First, I´m a bit jealous, since Mesas are so affordable there in USA. In Finland, where I live, Mesas are all too expensive:mad:
    I saw a new 400+ in a music store, and it was 2350 euros, huge sum of money! Used 400 was a bit cheaper, 1500. I think that it was about 15 years old. Somehow I liked very much about the new model, but does anyone know is there a big difference between 400 and 400+?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Personally, I slightly prefer the older 400, so for less money, for me it would be a no brainer.

Tom.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I use a 400. These havent been in production for a long time, so they are slightly rarer than the 400+. I dont think you can go wrong with either though!

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I think the tone would be almost identical, although I haven't heard a 400 non-plus. I think Mesa just felt that doubling the power tubes would lessen the load on each tube so much that it would add some power and make each tube seem like it was going through nothing. So, the tubes would probably need replacing a bit more often in the 400, but when you're talking 3 or 4 years, who cares.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, keep in mind that the 400 can run 6550's/KT-88's (and was in fact originally designed to do so - they switched to 6L6's later).

Tom.

6. babuska

babuska

Nov 14, 2005
    Finland
    Thanks, indeed, life is too short for cheap gear:D

7. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I've owned one of each, and still have my 400. It's lighter, cheaper to retube, and is just as good (albeit slightly different) sounding as my old 400+.

8. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    At any rate - I'm sure glad I bought my 400 +. If the 400 sounds similar to it, it would be a great amp. I absolutely LOVE mine.

9. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    I hardly have any use for that 7th band when playing my fretless. The 6th band adds the treble...the 7th adds the sparkle.

10. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    +1000, I have never played through the 400, but since i've recieved my 400+, I have had absolutely no GAS in the amp dept.:bassist:

11. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I'll second that emotion. Tube Boogie = Me gas free.

12. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I'll third that. All tube Mesa Amp + Mesa Cabs eliminated my rig-related GAS for good it seems.

All I need now are a few more high end basses. :D

13. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    funny. my mesa 400 (non-plus) and road ready 2x15 killed GAS in me for years. then i stupidly decided to sell my 2x15 and i'm gassing again.

14. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Live and learn, brother:meh:

Since I sold my Stingray about 10 months ago, i've been gassin' for another:crying: