1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa 400+ or M basis 2000?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AltraSound, Oct 2, 2010.

1. AltraSound

AltraSound

Sep 29, 2010
    Hey guys, still looking to find my dream tone. I bought two 15 inch mesa cabs with powerhouse speakers in them at 8 ohms that each can apparently handle 600 watts. So the cabs arnt an issue anymore hopefully.

Im looking to buy either a 400+ or a M2000 id like to hear what you guys would recommend and maybe ur thoughts on the sound comparisons between the 2? im def into the all tube tone and got good advice on hear about the 400+ over the M6.

I play prog rock music similar to tool mixed with mars volta (myspace.com/mindtheband) and the tone on the recording is my old amplifier (some type of hartke with a tube in the preamp). I like a very nice bassy sound with a boost in the low mids, almost no highs what so ever. Im looking for a better sound then this recording obviously and want to hear what you guys think!

Thanks!

2. AltraSound

AltraSound

Sep 29, 2010
    Also, the guitar player in my band is stressing an Ampeg SVT Classic american made. How would that compare to either of the mesa boogies? im not stuck on mesa's or ampegs either. all recommendations are welcome =]

3. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I had a M-2000 amp a few years ago ... it's a dark sounding amp, and it is a amp that you really have to work at in getting your sound, it is not a plug & play amp ... my amp had a hiss that wouldn't go away .... I've never played on a 400+ so I can't really comment ...but I do have a SVT II Pro ...and if that is the sound your looking for, save your money and get one

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The 400+ is an awesome, all tube amp that can be very clean and deep sounding. Takes pedals real well, too.

The 2000 is not an all tube amp, but rather, Mesa's first attempt at a "hybrid" bass amp. These days, they have 2 lines of hybrid's, the MPulse line, (Walkabout, Big Block 750, Titan), and the Carbine line, (M3, M6, M9).
    For what you're talking about, the 400+ is a great choice. The comparable Ampeg tube heads would be much different, warmer, rounder tone, with the ability to get a much deeper tube o/d.

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I never tried the M-2000 but I've owned, gigged and compared my 400+ to my vintage SVT, and SVT-II for years. (plus a SVT-CL I owned for a few months) All my SVT's had way stronger low-mid response than my 400+, D-180 or my Mesa Buster. A VT pedal and some serious knob tweeking can help to somewhat bring out my 400+ low mids, but never anything close to my SVT's.

The 400+ Treble tone knob is pretty much boost only, (a setting of 2 is considered flat) so even set to "0" its not cutting much of the high-end frequency. Although you could use its EQ section to cut more highs) On the other hand lowering my SVT's treble knob can drastically cut the highs for a darker tone while still remaining fairly clear sounding and able to cut through a dense band mix so I can hear myself without having to play overly loud.

Another common comparison you'll find of the 2 is that many owners of the 400+ (including me) report it requires quite a bit of knob tweeking to get it to sound the way you want in different rooms/stages. While on the other hand quite a large percentage of SVT owners (including me) report its much more of a plug and play amp with most guys just leaving its tone knobs nearly centered and never really feeling any urge to constantly tweek those knobs.

The SVT or 400+ can both develop more low end than I ever need but all my Mesa's are just naturally voiced for more exaggerated high-mids while my SVTs always get much stronger low-mids pretty much no matter how either amp is set.

Don't get me wrong, I like my Mesa's and actually prefer them for some types of music and bands, but if I wanted a thicker/stronger low-mid tone with less highs I'd definitely choose an SVT every time.

6. AltraSound

AltraSound

Sep 29, 2010
    Thanks! how do you feel about the harmonic overtones between the svt and the 400+?

7. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    400+ through two Mesa 15's is a killer rig. I'd definitely take the 400+ over the M2000 AND the SVT for that speaker combination.

Tip: Use a stereo pedal or a splitter and go into BOTH of the 400+ inputs for a truly awesome sound.

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Mmmm... never really analyzed that and cant think of any useful comparisons for ya at the moment. I'd guess they're more noticeable while playing in the higher registers and If its any help that's when I almost always prefer the thicker warmer tone and feel of my SVT's.

9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I had the M2000 for a while, and have had the 400+ for a few months now, and it's just ridiculously awesome. I've never been a tube amp fan (SVT, various Traces, etc..) but this is the ONE that changed my mind.
    I've also had pretty much everything else Mesa's ever done, not counting the Carbine line b/c I know it's not where I need to be tonally. I've had the M2000, M-Pulse 600 (a few times!), played the Walkabout a lot, BB750, Titan V12, and now ended up here. It's ridiculously simple and hard to get a bad sound from it. It's also enormously crushing as far as volume goes. I usually like the Solid-State or hybrid "crunch" as I mostly play with a pick, but the hugeness of this amp makes up for it.

To me it's no real comparison as while the M2K was a revolutionary-type amp at it's time back in the mid 90's with all of its options and features, today I'd take the V12 and BB750 and probably the M-Pulse 600 over it, in that order. But none over the mighty 400+! :bassist::bassist: