Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mesa 400+ or M-Pulse600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bazzhed4, Dec 4, 2003.

1. bazzhed4

bazzhed4

Aug 2, 2003
    Aberdeen MD
    OK i know that im going to get a lot of "try it out and find out for yourself" but here goes.

i play in a modern hard rock band. i play 5 string basses exclusively. warwick bo 5 string is my main bass and mm sr5 is my #2 bass. i have an eden xlt 410 cab. i get great tone and sound out of my rig. i have always wanted a 400+ and i have the possibility of trading my mpulse 600 for a 400+ straight across. has anyone ever ab'd the amps and if so what were your findings. can i get the same tones out of the 400+ that i can out of my mpulse. one of the drawbacks that im finding with my mpulse is that i cant really get the sound that i want until i push it a little bit. makes it hard in rehearsal when we are trying to keep the volume down a little.

for my sound i am looking for a mix between growl and snappy sound...(ie ryan martinie...tool) with some good solid mids. i dont care as much about the low end as i do the mids because i like to hear myself....ill let the pa handle the room shaking. thats why i use 4x10's instead of 15's. the sound i have been looking for is jason newsteds intro to "my freind of misery"....mudvaynes growl in "dig"....the good beefy growl in "snap your fingers snap your neck" by prong and "46 and 2" by tool.

mesa users.....your opinion? 400+ or stick with what i have...the mpulse 600?

2. Hehe. Justin from tool uses the M-2000 and the 600.

EDIT: About the mids. To get a Ryan Martinie sound you have to go with almost no mids, all lows and mellow highs. The only way to be heard is if your guitarist uses heavy distortion on the high mid side. So its really your guitarists EQ that is preventing you from being heard with a 'Ryan Martinie' EQ.