Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400+ or M2000 - opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by schmoove, Oct 26, 2005.

1. I finally found a shop in NZ that has a Mesa Basis M-2000 (no footswitch tho, which is a bit disappointing).

Flicking off my GK1001 rig for the 400+ a year ago was a no-brainer, but I've heard so many mixed opinions about the tone/playability of the M2000, and it's pretty unanimous how great the 400+ is so I'm at a bit of a loss.

To make the decision harder, the M2000 is at the other end of the country, so I dont have the opportunity to play it first. But it has that juicey high-gain tube channel which I'm dying for (use distorted bass in half of our songs), and I'm not that fussed about the tone of my 400+ - I run a Sansamp RBI in front of everything anyway (im addicted to the sansamp sound).

So any recommendations? The M2000 is a great amp, but will I regret losing the 400+?

chur!

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    If you are bored with your amp go for it. The 400+ probably has a little more Thunda to it though.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm not a big Mesa fan, but I've played both the 400+ and the M2000. I think trading the 400+ would be a bad idea. I played with the danged M2000 for over an hour and couldn't get a single decent tone out of it. On the other hand, the 400+ had great bottom, and a fairly diverse palette of tones. It's the only Mesa amp I've ever played that I can say I liked. That includes their newer stuff, too.

Why are you thinking about swapping?

4. it's not so much that im bored with it, but i find the 400+ a bit of a one-trick pony and I could really do with the high-gain channel. bit weary of people's remarks about not being able to get a 'usable' tone out of the M2000 at times tho

5. i really like the 400+, but I wouldn't say it has a huge palette of tones. great for a garage rocker with a p-bass and a pick. i play with a lot of full-on distortion (big muff/zvex woolley mammoth) - think Muse - and have to use a Boss Ls-2 to keep the bottom end in there. I thought the high gain channel on the M2000 might be a good replacement for all three and would maintain the bottom end by being able to dial in a mix with the clean solid state channel. i dont need 2 graphic eqs, but hey its all part of the package

6. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Hi there Schmoove from a fellow kiwi - and I have watched you on TradeMe! For what it's worth Irecently went through the same dilemma - I sold my SVT2 head and 810 as it was simply too heavy for these weary bones. I then had to decide between what I think is the same M2000(South Island?) and an M400+. Long story short, bought the 400+ and have never looked back - much lighter than the SVT and more versatile tonally, although nothing can do that SVT sound quite like an SVT. I did do a lot of research on it,and asked the"right " people, on forums etc.which pointed me clearly to the 400+ over the M2000. I still keep an SWR head for convenience - and because it is there I suppose.Unfortunately only valves can do valves, and I always miss them if they are not there.

7. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    buy an overdrive pedal

8. Hey guys, good to see that there are other kiwis on here. If you're in Auckland, have you talked to Bruce Kerr, the NZ dealer for Traynor? He has a huge amount of stuff and is in your area.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmmm ... if you're weary of it, you must've heard it many many times. Wonder if there's anything to it.

10. overdrive pedal? i've got three already ;)
    but that's what got me wondering about the M2000, whether it's high gain channel could out-do my big muff/woolley mammoth combo

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    He might have meant "wary" instead of "weary."

At any rate, I own an M-2000 (Benjamin Strange's, to be precise) as well as a Bass 400 (no +). These are two different beasts, and I like them both. The Bass 400 is certainly more plug and play friendly, but I do like the ability to blend or switch the tube/SS channels on the Basis M-2000. Yes, it takes a bit of tweaking to get the best tones out of it, but once you figure out what works (tip: the compressors really take some tweaking to use to best effect - or just turn them off, like I do!), I find it fairly easy to replicate.

Tom.

12. hey Tim1, that's quite a coincidence! do you live in Chch? it really is an unbeatable price on the M2000, even if it doesnt have a footswitch.
    I agree the 400+ is a great, pounding amp, but I only like it with my Sansamp RBI in front of it, so even if I got the M2000 and didn't like it's natural sound as much, should be able to tighten it up with the RBI.

13. just checked out your site.. dude do you run a shop outta your basement or somethin?! you have a crazy amount of gear!!!!
    and i thought my pedal collection was gettin a bit out of hand

14. Interesting... so where exactly is this unbeatably-priced m2000?... I could ..er .. check it out for you :ninja: :D ...

Seriously though, I have limited experience with the M2000 & no experience with the 400+ so I can't really be very objective. However, I wasn't blown away by the M2000 in the 2 or 3 hours I played with one. But, as others have said, it may be a matter of extensive tweaking of the many knobs/slides/switches...

15. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    More knobs + more channels + 6 button footswitch = more room to screw up your tone more time playing with knobs than playing bass. Keep your Bass 400+ or get an SVT and use a boost pedal to overdrive the front end on some songs

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I very briefly owned an M2000. Although I didnt get to use it on a gig, it seemed like a nice amp, but with a few too many bells and whistles for my tastes. I use a 400+, and really like it. Given the choice between the two, I'd keep the 400+.

17. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Hi,Schmoove - actually I am in Hawkes bay, but got on to the M2000 through TradeMe and a bit of simple detective work (as you do). I tend to prefer a cleaner sound, so probably why I am more content with the 400+. I have a sansamp but have not used it with the 400+, so will give it a go at the gig tonight as you suggest. Incidentally, it was me who was featured in Truth with Geoff Fitzpatrick when I sold him a headless bass in the Macdonalds car park at Rotorua through TradeMe (the Kiwi ebay) and we were surrounded by the Armed Offenders Squad - someone thought it was a shotgun and had rung the police to report a drug deal or hold up going on!Scary stuff - it did look a bit like a gun, I suppose, especially when you are sighting down the neck.