Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400 or M2000?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ripper75, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Ripper75

Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    Just wondering which one gives a better tube sound, looking for something that really growls!

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    You answered your question in your post. If you want "tube sound" then obviously, you'd get the all tube amp, the 400+.

The M2000 is an EXCELLENT amp, and it does have a tube preamp on one side, alont with 346 other bells and whistles, but again, if you want tube sound, then get a tube amp.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    An old SVT-II might growl a little more but I havent made the comparisson.

4. the SVT II's have the growl, and they dont even have a pre-gain

but, maybe mine isnt meant to do that :bawl: it aint be behaving

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE TAKE YOUR AMP TO A TECH SO YOU STOP POSTING ON EVERY AMPEG THREAD HOW YOURS DOESN'T WORK.

Thank you..

Love and Kisses

Cheezewiz

6. well people keep mentioning it and it brings back bad memories :p

well done with the pic tho :eyebrow: :spit:

7. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    As said before you answered your own question and the answer is the 400+.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I agree. I own a Bass 400, and I recently picked up an M-2000 from Benjamin Strange (thanks again!), and The Cheeze Man hit it right on the head.

Tom.

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    You got that one Tom? Damn..ANOTHER piece of your gear I need to check out. I had an M2000 for about a week and the little bit I used it, it seemed to be a very nice head. THAT was the only messed up PIA Talkbass deal I've ever been involved in, but that's another story!

10. +2, nothing more to add :)

11. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Keep in mind that with either of these amps, it will take you some time to dial in your tone. They're not simple, out of the box player's amps. Once you find the tone you like though, it's incredible. There should be some threads around with suggested settings (at least for the 400+, the M-2000 comes with some good suggestions in the manual).

12. I keep hearing that the Basis M-2000 has a slightly noisy signal path and the sound quality of an M-Pulse 600 is better. Of course, the best sound you're going to get is from the Bass 400+

13. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    The M-2000 is dead silent. It was designed as a recording head and it is great for that.

14. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005

off topic, but it made me think for a moment... so many things are "designed for recording", yet try asking a recording engineer which he favors! Not knocking the M2000, i'm actually not familiar with it at all... just speaking in general. Kinda funny.

15. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Well, it's designed with recording in mind. It has a built in DI (as well as being solid state so it doesn't need to be hooked up to speakers). Also with the preamp you can get such a wide range of tones out of it. Anything from tube grit to SS dub tone.

16. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    then as far as that goes it isnt all to disimilar from most ashdown heads? they ahve the tube pre but are solid state. well ive never quite understood the ashdowns tube pre, it has the option of being tube or solid state with the grind knob. i think.... either way, if thats the case i could an ashdown pre without a power amp/cab and run right out of the built in DI yes? for recording and live?

17. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^The M-2000 is really like two different amps. It's has two completely different preamp sections. Tube and SS. They both have eq, graphic eq, gain etc etc etc for each side. Then you can mix them both if you like.

18. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i see. done and done.