Mesa 400 or SVT 2, which has more tube growl?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ripper75, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    Does anyone have opinions on which one has the most tube growl? I need to cut through, but compliment two loud punk rock guitar players. I keep hearing good things about Mesa and I am considering buying an older 400, but also thinking about a '94 svt 2. Thanks.
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The Mesa doesn't naturally have lots of "growl" it tends to be the cleaner of the tones if comparing to a classic SVT tone. The 400 has a slightly scooped mid tone character compared to the emphasized mid of the SVT. I find the SVT to be 'honkey' sounding. You CAN push the Mesa to growl if you work a bit.

Do a search and you'll find plenty.
  3. the mesa is scooped mid, the ampeg is boosted mid

the mesa is alot cleaner, the ampeg rolls about in the mud its that dirty ;) (not mud in a bad way either)

from what i know anyway, i have the SVT II, do you mean that or the 2 - Pro ?
  4. Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    I am interested in the SVT 2 and selling my pro2. I played a mesa 400 today and liked it allot! I really just want a powerfull and nasty low end growl of a tube amp. Hopefully I will get to play an SVT 2 and compare it to the Mesa 400. Which one is more reliable and easy to repair? I move around so I am leaning towards the Mesa since it is so much lighter, but it's all about the sound and dont mind workin for it...
  5. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    EDIT: Nevermind, I searched and found the answer.
  6. I think they are both known to be reliable, i think people'll probably say the mesa is more reliable tho, but they are both great workhorse amps it would seem!

A decent shockmount case would mean that either way they should be fine

I can see weight being a problem, the SVT II is 85lbs, and the Mesa is closer to 50lbs? but, they have pretty different sounds, so id go by how they sound after checking them both out, A/B ing them would be great, but i dont think many ppl will get that chance, they are very different sounding at least, so thats a bit more helpful
  7. Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    Will my ampeg 8-10" cabinet work well with the mesa 400? I also have a 15" cab. Can I hook up both cabs to the mesa?
  8. I've had and svt2 and a Mesa 400. I tried both amps with the result that i sold the svt2. I tried the Mesa with 6l6 and 6550 and with the 6550 it sounds almost the same as an svt! I like the Mesa more because you can control the drive and with a A/B switchbox it's a killer rig! And less heavy and cheaper than the Ampeg :smug:
  9. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I have an Ampeg 8x10" and a Mesa 400+. I used it for years on many tours. The Mesa broke down a few times on the road, but there was always a place to get it fixed. I probably should have invested in a shock case for it, but it is damn heavy already. Lugging around the 8x10 and the Mesa was a real pain in the ass...especially when stairs are involved. If you plan on touring or gigging alot...I recommend doing 2- 4x10" cabs or an 18" or 15" and a 4x10" both cabs at 8 ohms. This way you can have your choice of a small rig or a power player and it will be way easier to haul around. I'm currently trying to find a good balance between loudness and largeness. I'm trying out a 4x10 and a 2x10" Avatar set up tomorrow night. Both cabs are 4 ohms and I'm running my QSC PLX in Parallel mode so each channel gets the mono bass signal from my preamp and gets about 900 watts. It worked out at practice, but a show is the real test. I wish I could still use the 8x10 cuz it just wails, but it's just way too cumbersome.