Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400+ or SVT-CL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shumph, Sep 27, 2001.

1. Mesa 400

26 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. SVT-CL

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Another option (posted below)

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Shumph

Shumph

Aug 25, 2001
    On the move
    I am narrowing down my choice for a new amp head.
    So far I like the Mesa 400 for around $1260
    and the SCT-CL at $999 on clearance.

Please post your opinions

Thanks

S

2. Go with the Mesa. Mesa's are sick.
    It may be more expensive but i reacon it has a better tone than most heads in the market.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've owned both, currently only have the 400+. The Classic is strong and loud but doesn't have the depth, warmth or overall harmonic richness of the Boogie. The Classic also does not, in any way, compare favorably to the vintage SVT (I own a '70). So for me, there's no comparison: the 400+ wins every time.

4. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    If you are gonna get the ampeg, consider the SVT-2 PRO. Depends on your playing style though, as to whether it compares to the CL. If the SVT2 PRO isnt an option, go for the 400+ definately.

5. tonru

tonru

Mar 15, 2002
    mesa has good customer service vs. ampeg having nil.plus the above mentioned advantages.

6. crud19

crud19

Sep 26, 2001
    Missouri
    If you are planning on spending that kind of money on a head, you should really, really try out both and decide which one is for you. This is such a subjective field (especially between two legendary amps) that the final decision should be up to your ears, not what a bunch of dudes on a message board tell you. That being said, WHAT ARE YOU, CRAZY? BUY THE AMPEG! I kid.

7. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    another vote for Mesa.

i just flat out liked the tone/ features of the boogie more than the svt. both are excellent heads, i would go with the the 400+.

8. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Either the Mesa 400+ or vintage gear for me. Given those options.

9. I have two 400+ heads. Two heads are better than one....

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Me, too. Agreed.

11. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Would you like to give one to me? Heck, I'm even willing to pay for it! Can't beat that now, can you? :p

12. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I much prefer the Mesa to the ampeg. The folks at Mesa are very helpful and will take care of you should any (not likely) problems arise!

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nosir! Must...have...two...:D

14. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I say Trace Elliot tube heads!! too bad it's hard to find one....

15. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Bass Greaser, have you tried a 70's SVT or a Mesa Boogie 400+? What is the difference in the Trace tube head compared to these? There is one on Ebay right now.

16. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've never played an 70's svt, nor the 400+, But I've heard SO many good things about them. I almost got one, but I was out bidded. the SVT CL are good sounding, but I find myself wanting more detail. SO I bought the Trace. The Trace still has that tubey sound, but it is also detailed, and CLEAN!

17. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Yeah, Right!! So,..Now I gotta get another one?

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Hey, I'm in talks with a TB'er right now to sell one o' mine. If it doesn't work out, yer covered! ;)

19. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

So, I don't have to have two, right?

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You only need two if I can't sell one of mine right away. I only need one. Questions? ;)