1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

mesa 400+ or svt2pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by paradigm_shift, Aug 21, 2007.

1. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007
    At the risk of being irritating,does anyone have audio samples of either of these? I have an opportinity to get one that I dont want to pass up, I'm just not sure which.More interested in the 400+ as I have yet to hear it (but I've only heard rave reviews).I have in the past heard (and loved) the 2pro, But a refresher of sound would be nice...

2. galore

galore

May 10, 2006
    EU
    take the 2pro and leave 400+ for me :D

no, seriously, both are great amps. but i'd take 400+ over 2pro (cos i already have 2 ampegs). listen to your heart - or guts. good luck!

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Bass 400- Listen to "Arisen" on my bands myspace (though I am using a Sansamp in front of the head). Or the end of "The Cleansing" for a real midrangey tone with no Sansamp.

Overdrive on the Mesa sounds pretty awesome, and I've heard great tones from the SVT as well.

4. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007
    Its a hard one, they dont come around very frequently in my parts.So what I was really wanting was just a flat eq of each to hear there most base sound,But I'll check out your my space anyway:)

5. pj4553

pj4553

Mar 11, 2007
    1 here for the SVT-2

6. I say the svt, the mesa is just too darn expensive for what it is

7. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007
    Dont misenterpret me as bitchy for this, for far from it ,I really do appreciate all the help you guys give.But I'm not doing this as a popularity thread.I know these two will get equal values of which I should get.I simply want to hear them,and make the descision myself. If you have any songs you'd recommend that epitomise the bass sound of an amp,or better yet a recording(or link to) I would appriciate that a lot more than which you think is better.I hope that didnt come across the wrong way:)

8. your such a bitch lol. Just kidding

9. For me, it's easier to dial in my tone with an Ampeg. The 400+ utilizes a tone stack much like a Fender type. It takes me much more fiddling to get where I want to go with the Mesa vs the Ampeg plug and play (again, for me) tone stack.

10. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I prefer the MESAs sound (and weight). But both are very good amps.

11. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007
    So I missed out on the amp I was looking at. But none the less I'm still interested In hearing one.These two amps I've had recommended to me the most for tonally what I want.A kinda grity dirty tone. I do like the tone of the svt2pro. Though have never played one myself.The 400 I'm yet to hear much of..

12. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.

I own this 400+ (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238662&highlight=amp+mod) and an SVT-II.
    I currently consider my Mesa to be my (really outstanding) back-up amp.

They both have their strong points:
    My Mesa has a cleaner overall sound and lets the basses true sound shine through better than my SVT, but
    wont really come close to copping the SVT vibe if that's what your seeking.
    My Ampeg has a thicker, more colored sound that just happens to work better with my current bands, basses and playing style.

I cant help much with the sound clips, but if you dig through these threads you'll find quite a few that are comparing these two amps...:)
    http://www.google.com/custom?client...&hl=en&q=SVT+400+&sitesearch=www.talkbass.com

13. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Central Massachusetts
    I couldn't agree more. I own both and while the Mesa is a great sounding head, it takes a lot longer for me to dial in my sound. The SVT-II is more plug and play and a little grittier (and from what I hear the 2Pro takes even that to another level). Both are great all-tube heads. I hope you get an opportunity to play through both.