Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400+ Output Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by garethCV, Nov 20, 2004.

1. garethCV

garethCV

Sep 7, 2004
    PDX, Oregon
    I'm a bit confused with the 400+'s speaker output labels, from looking at the panel it seems like there are 3 4-ohm outputs and 3 8-ohm outputs, but when I read the manual it says there are 2 4-ohm, 2 8-ohm, and a pair of 2-ohm outputs. Can anyone with experience using this amp clarify this for me? The groups of output plugs are arranged in little triangles, so I was curious if the bottom groups were 4 and 8 ohm, and the top plugs were 2 ohm? Thanks!

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    There should be two 8 ohm, two 4 ohm, and two 2 ohm jacks. If I remember correctly, the 2 ohms are the ones at the top.

3. garethCV

garethCV

Sep 7, 2004
    PDX, Oregon
    Great, thank you kindly sir!

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm here to help. And for the cookies.

5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

If I remember right, you can mix a 4 and 8 ohm cab also. You put the 4 ohm cab in the 2 ohm jack and the 8 ohm cab in the 4 ohm jack. (This applies only when mixing cabs.) If you are running 2 8ohm cabs, you plug them into the 2 4ohm jacks. If you are running 2 4ohm cabs, plug them into the 2 2ohm jacks. I hope this makes sense. It took me a while to get it right.