Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400+ question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jaguarcat311, Jun 4, 2005.

1. hey, im savin for a mesa 400+, almost there......anyway, i remember someone talking about a Y splitter to use both inputs, does anyone else use both inputs? is the y splitter just a split cable, or somethin preamped? I use a mesa 400 where i practice so i'd like to try using both inputs on that too. Thanks for the help

2. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yup... great setup. I'd recommend using a good AB-Y box (www.loooper.com, www.lehle.com) as opposed to a Y-cable.

3. basslag13

basslag13

Apr 16, 2005
    whats the advantage of doing this??

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You get a different tone. Each pre has a different tonal signature, so together they combine. Mmmmmmm. Thicker.

5. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    yeah ..it's a great amp...i haven't tried both channels yet though

6. does anyone know of a good ABY box? i can probably find schematics and build my own if i get the name of a good one. would a y splitter work? kind of like connecting the inputs on a plexi it seems....

7. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I got a Morley ABY.

I quick fix is a Y cord.

8. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Does this work on the Bass 400 also?

9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I believe the 400 has cascading gain stages as opposed to the 400+ which has 2 independent gain channels. You can do it, but I think you'll get a very different sound.

10. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    The D-180 is the one with the cascading gain stages, IIRC. I'd think that you could use both inputs on the 400 as well as the Plus.

11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    My bad. You're absolutely correct. I get all those 'little' Mesas mixed up sometimes. ;)