Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400+ question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LukeMan970, Sep 6, 2005.

1. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    i've been looking on ebay at getting one of these and all of them say its about 500 or 600 watts at 3 ohms and i was wondering is it only a 2 ohm amp or can it go 4 ohms too? If it is a 2 ohm only amp what would be a good cab to go with the head?

2. as far as I know is 500 watts the peak output,
    and it has 2 Ohm, 4 Ohm and 8 Ohm outputs, so it shouldn't be a big problem to find the right cab.. don't know what's the right thing for you, you must try.

3. Its 300 watts at best really, 500 watt peak, (really good 6l6's will give off 25 watts each tops, 12x25=300)

It is an all valve amp, there is a switch on the back to choose the impedance, so if your using a single 4 ohm cab make sure the switch is on the 4 ohm option, this is important as an impedance mismatch is bad for all valve amps

It doesnt matter what impedance you are using, aslong as the amp can use it, it will always be ~300 watt RMS output

I have no idea where the 3 ohms came from, thats a load of bull

IIRC the 400+ is either [4 ohm/8 ohm] or [2 ohm/4 ohm/8 ohm]

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The Mesa 400+ I owned had output jacks for 8 ohm, 4 ohm, and 2 ohm. I've never seen a 2 ohms speaker cabinet, but running two 4 ohm cabinets will get you a 2 ohm load.

5. I don't see a switch for the impedance on my Mesa 400+, but it has different outputs for different Ohms.
    1st one is for 1 2 Ohm or 2 4 Ohm cabs.
    2nd one is for 1 4 OhM or 2 8 Ohm cabs.
    3rd one is for 1 8 Ohm or 2 16 Ohm Cabs

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Most of what has been said here is right...Although there is no switch, instead there are 3 sets of outputs (as Chef said). I would say its inadviseable to run the amp at 3ohms...but I haven't seen a 3 ohm cab lately (2.66 might be an option, but still not adviseable). Tube amps can be touchy about mis-matched loads.

Indeed it is a 300w amp, but don't let that get you down, its a very loud 300w amp. Unlike a SS amp, its 300w at all 3 impedance output levels.

In a side note, I believe I've had one knowledgeable cabinet maker (who happened to own Chef's 400+) suggest that running the 400+ down to 2 ohms might not be the best option.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    That head will sound good with just about any cab, albeit with a little tweaking. From my experience, it sounds sweeter with my old Mesa/Boogie Diesel 1x15 cab than with my SWR cab, so Mesa cabs arent a bad choice and I am sure there are other good options.

8. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Old mesa Diesel series 15s or 2X15s are great with that amp if you like a powerful, rock n roll tone with strong low mids. But any decent cab should sound good, I've used Mesa, Eden, Carvin and Bergantino cabs with mine. I tried an SWR 8X8 which sounded good but couldn't go loud without falling apart, that amp has some serious output.

9. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Mesa 400+ is a super loud head. 300 tube watts gets really loud. It's built like a tank too. I once dropped mine outta the back of the van before a show....not even a hiccupp! I've used it with The Ampeg 8x10 cab(4 ohms), Ampeg 4x10 (8 ohms), Avatar 4x10 cab(4 ohms), Avatar 2x10 cab(4 ohms), Avatar 2x10 and 4x10 simultaniously(down at 2 ohms). And soon, will use it with a Schroeder 310212. All of these worked fine. I've had it 7 years and just this year replaced the power tubes. It's been on 4 cross country tours...in the dead of winter in Chicago and the hot hot summer in Reno, Nevada. Flawless.

10. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    By the way you guys all talk it sounds like this amp is a beast. I've really been wanting one for a long time but i'm broke after buying my warwick. How does the 300 watts of this compare to that of say my 300 watt ashdown combo which i'm pretty sure is solid state?

11. Please, dont ask silly questions :p

Its a tube amp so it can run closer to the 300 watts more, with SS amps you dont really get anywhere near the power outage because they clip and sound horrible, a tube amp clipping is just, mmmmmm

So, yeah, a tube amp thats rated 300 watts is louder than a SS amp thats rated at 300 watts, a fair bit louder!

And sorry bout the switch bit, thats me with ampegs on the brain

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I always use the wattage X 3 or 4 for when comparing tube watts to SS watts. The 400+ will totally destroy your little Ashdown. The 400+ is a great amp.

13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    True...it will crush a 300w solid state amp without even pushing it.

I moved from a solid state 350w amp to a 400+ and I can't but think of it as a BIG move up in terms of power.

For all the good press, I do have to note that its not for everyone. The tone stack is great for some of us, but a battle for others. I see tons of people turn them over soon after owning them. There's always a big supply of them on eBay.

If you're looking for an aggresive mid range tone a'la the SVT, this is NOT the amp for you. I like to think of it as an alternative to the SVT for those of us who want something different. If you want killer low-mid punch...this is it.

14. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Can any of you guys who have a 400+ post clips of what it sounds like? And if you can with a warwick :p

15. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Sorry...no clips right now...besides, it's tough to get a representative sound since the cab and the bass and my tone setup play a big part. My line of signal is currently Dingwall->Mesa 400+->Schroeder 1212, none of which is 'standard' gear.