Mesa 400+ question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hombrelobo, Oct 27, 2005.

1. hombrelobo

Sep 28, 2005
    Anybody own one to give a reveiw about it? Wheres a good place to get one? How does it compare to the fender bassman 300 and the svt 2 pro?
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I own one, and it is a great, versatile amp. It doesn't overdrive as well as a 300T or an SVT 2, and is a bit more of a clean sound, but still with some tube grit. There are A LOT of threads on the 400+. Use the search function here for more details.
  3. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    like cheez said, they are great amps. its very hard to overdrive them. for od i use a sans amp. clean it sounds awesome. even with the eq off i can find a tone i like.

they are a beast though, so be prepared about the extra weight.
  4. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    While they aren't light, they ARE much lighter than a 300T or an SVT II.
  5. I was away to post the same thing !
  6. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah they are defintely lighter then the 80Lb svt cl, hell, its even lighter with a shock case.

hopefully i can find my 6 space mesa shock soon<3
  7. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I have a 400+. I have a Sunn 300T (Fender Bassman 300) I used to have an SVT 2 Pro. I have used them with the same cabs and the same basses.

All great sounding, loud tube amps. The 400+ and the Ampeg weigh about the same, both being rackmount units. The 300 weighs 8 1/2 metric tons. The 400+ and the 300 will work at 2 4 or 8 ohms, the Ampeg only 2 or 4. The 400+ has the most speaker hookup options - lots of jacks.

Tonally very different. The 400+ does not distort well, but stays clean very loud. It has a very colored sound, IMO even the graphic EQ does not change its fundamental character, just shapes it, but does this well. It's hard to describe in words... strong low mids, great rock tone. The ultra lows aren't too strong, It's not my favorite amp for my string (though I tune down to A).

The Ampeg sounds, well, like an Ampeg. It too has a switchable graphic, but it really does best a big mid heavy old school tone. Very nice distortion, musical and smooth. It was hard to part with it.

The Fender/Sunn is the cleanest of the lot. Super loud. For a tube amp, it sounds pretty uncolored before you start messing with the EQ. The best lows of the 3. The distortion is more guitarish than the Ampeg, on the harsh side and sounds best when blended with the clean sound. I like that you can blend clean and distorted. Also has a built in 2 band compressor so you can compress the lows but not the highs.
  8. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i always thought my 400+ was NOT colored.
  9. Erm, the ampeg weighs alot more than the 400+ , my SVT II is about 85-90lbs in a light 4U case i have, the 400+ is what, 45-50lbs or something?
  10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    It's a nice little amp. I've played one once or twice...

Sounds pretty good and has decent volume.

I second doing a search...I think I've heard this amp mentioned once or twice.
  11. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    OK, looks like I was off on the weight. Still easier to manage than the Fender though. Guess I'm just so strong the SVT 2 seemed light to me.

When I was looking up the weight, I noticed is dead and gone. What's up with that? Had to get the weight from Musician's Friend.
  12. girlsaremean41

girlsaremean41 Banned

Jul 17, 2005
    Lancaster, PA
    Yeah, just kind of vanished sometime last night.
  13. I noticed that too, i was gonna check up on the SVT 2 Pro, says its under maintanence at the top

Maybe they are sorting out the forums?? god that would be good!
  14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    You guys are a bunch of girls, my svt aint that heavy.