Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400+ Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SoyBase, Jan 27, 2002.

1. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Okay, I bought a Mesa 400+ new about a month or so ago and love it. The only thing that I have that sounds like a problem is that with the master and gain set at 5 on input 1 with my Stingray 5, the sound gets distorted when I play hard. I've replaced the pre-amp tubes with 12ax7LPS's with the advice of Mesa technical support, but the distortion is still there. The amp does this on both my Mesa 1516 and my new Eden 410xlt. I dont think Im overdriving this amp, especially since Im using channel 1 with the Eq's pretty much flat. If I use channel 2 with the gain at around 2 or less and the master at 5, it does the same thing. Could this be a power tube problem maybe? I've heard all sorts of other tube amps, including the 400+ that other people have owned and theres sounded crystal clear with that nice growl even at high volumes. This sound is definitely not that "farty" sound but a overdriven sound. Anyone own one of these that can help a fellow out?
    Thanks
    Tommy

2. Mesa's telephone support is stellar...phone them. You can talk to one of the guys who actually built your amp...cool, eh?

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Try Tim at Mesa. Very helpful dude. I have no idea what your problem is but I'm wondering if it's the 'Ray and not the amp?

4. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I think I'll give them a call tomorrow...I was thinking it might be the bass because my stingray 4 isnt as bad as the 5 on that amp..maybe a dying battery?

5. A dying battery will give you that sound exactly...that has got to be it, for sure. The 400+ is not a delicate beast despite what folks think. It can take a bit of abuse.

6. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I'll give that a try tonight at rehearsal. I've got some of those new titanium batteries or whatever that I'll try. I switched batteries out about a month ago, but it could be discharged or something. I'll post here when I get home tonight and let you guys know if that was it.
    Thanks
    Tommy

7. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I think its the battery. Also, make sure your EQ is flat when you test it for distortion.

Its gotta be the battery though.

8. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Okay guys, I owe you all a Coke. The battery was the problem. Now everything sounds PERFECT. I never knew how punchy that 410xlt could be! Our producer came into the rehearsal studio tonight and said that my bass sounded awesome and he cant wait to throw a mic in front of it when we record. I dont think I'll ever go back to a Solid State amp after getting the 400+ dialed in. I guess sometimes a new battery isnt always "NEW" out of the box. Now I'm going to keep a 5 dollar battery tester with my extra batteries.
    Thanks again
    Tommy

9. Always use an alkaline battery, because they have a fairly constant voltage until they die, whereas a regular battery decreases in voltage over it's lifespan, and thus will cause distortion.