Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400+ retubing question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LukeMan970, Sep 8, 2005.

1. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
  2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Do yourself a favor and don't buy Chinese tubes, or tubes from Mesa for that matter. You'll be much better off buying tubes from Bob at Eurotubes.com or the guys at Tubedepot.com or Lord Valve or any of a number of others. Mesa's not cheap, Chinese tubes tend to be the lowest quality and will last the shortest amount of time in general. JJ's sound great in a 400+, I speak from experience and so do a lot of other guys around here with 400+'s. Mesa simply rebadges other people tubes and any tube will do just fine in those amps with no need to adjust the bias as Mesa has a fixed bias. Good luck tiger.

3. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    ok, but i heard you had to do something to the bias i think it was so you could use other tubes besides mesa's, is this true?

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    No, I have JJs in mine. What you might need to take it to a tech for is a bad filter cap, if anything. From what I hear, they are pretty common and I had one. But retubing is a breeze with the 400+.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah, I don't have anything great to say about Mesa Tubes. Any good tube person should be able to get a full set of 12 matched 6L6's that will sound great in your Mesa without needing a bias adjustment.

I have Eurotube's JJ's in mine too, and they're great. Yes, it will end up running you about $210 for a full set plus preamp tubes.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Anyone else really hate how the stock Mesas sound in the 400+? I didn't even like the 400+ until I heard it with JJs, and now I'm in love with it.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I called Lord Valve and he hooked me up with a set of 12 Reflektor/Svetlana 6L6 for under $200. They sound WAY better than the stock Mesa's did. So, as others have said, call Lord Valve, Eurotubes, Tube Depot, etc., tell them what amp you want to retube, and they will all be familiar with what is needed to work well in a Mesa. Also, with a good quality set of tubes, no way you'll have to retube every year unless you are playing HOURS AND HOURS EVERY SINGLE day of the year (and maybe not even then).

9. Hounddog

Hounddog

Dec 2, 2004
    Southern, Illinois
    Sadowsky Featured Artist
    I put JJ's in mine about a week ago. They are awesome. Make sure you have a good connection on your tubes. I had a bad connection on one. The guys here at TalkBass walked me through troubleshooting. BOB from Eurotubes told me to take an old tube, Clean it up with Contact cleaner, Run it in and out of every socket to clean the contacts up. And then check connections when you put your new tubes in. If any of them feel loose take an ice pick or something small and pointed ( I used a big safety pin ) and bend the connection sockets so they will fit tight. I strongly recomment JJ Tubes. They are awesome. I would have never believed it until I heard them.

10. JJ's are great, ive got them in my pre and driver section, guess i should probably have stuck them in the power section, but maybe next time :)

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am going to go with JJ KT-88's in my Bass 400 (and I am having external bias adjustment controls installed). Needless to say, I will report back! :D

Tom.

12. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    JJs in my 400+. Told Bob what I had, and that I wanted as much clean power as possible. Forget what it cost. Just got it back from a tech who checked everything out, tested all sorts of stuff and it's all within specs. Sounds nice. Going to miss it.

Had JJs in my Peavey Classic 400, it didn't seem as powerful as I thought it ought to be and also sounded kind of pedestrian. However I had no idea how to bias the beast and hadn't found a competent tech at that time. The same JJs (KT88s) in my Fender 400PS are super loud, and stay clean up until it gets stupid loud. They were KILLER in my Marshall "plexi" reissue. Turned it into a furious bass amp.