Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mesa 400+??'s which compressor is best for this amp. can it be set up for dual mono w

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groovking, Oct 31, 2000.

1. tell me guys and gals, i run A 400+ W/ 6L6 SVETS ON A 1X15 DIESEL WITH A 2X10 diesel w/horn on top. what compressors are recommended im looking at dbx 166xl and am not sure if this head can be set up for dual mono (with a y or how? if so) or am i just utilizing one side of the compressor?????? if so are compressors used in this application that are mono only, is my head capable of stereo,......please straighten me out....jim

2. spose

spose

Jun 6, 2000
    Mesa Man is correct,, your amp is mono.

What you CAN do is use a crossover to send the lows to your 1x15 and the mid/highs to your 10's. I would suggest a active x-over, 2 way mono. Your amp has plenty of power for those two cabs.
    BTW,,the x-over splits your signal so you can run a dual channel compressor.

3. is there any benefit to the sound by doing this with the crossover, i can see that id be able to adjust the compressor for the 1x15 and the 2x10 seperatly. is it worth it, i tried stereo in my swr sm 400 and i thought it sucked w no real benefit. is this another thing that will be to no great avail?