Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mesa 400+ setup? compressor?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groovking, Sep 18, 2000.

1. im about to mount my new mesa boogie 400+ in a 4 rack space skb case. should i hold off and get a 5 or 6 rack space cab and add a compressor and tuner? , are you 400+ guys out there running compressors and tuners in your racks. im usung a 1x15 diesel cab w/o a horn, purposely trying to keep the rig small and portable. if a compressor is suggested is my boss floor pedal for bass sufficient. i also would like to use a boss portable tuner, also for compactness .any reccomendations? thanks guys and gals!

2. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I switched from a Hartke 7000 to the Mesa Boogie 400+ last February. It's great (blows Hartke away). I also use a compressor, a line conditioner/tuner, and a BBE sonic maximizer. This all takes up 7 spaces and I have a 6-space SKB case. I place the conditioner/tuner on top. I am looking for a good used 8-space SKB case.

3. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    I've got a Bass 400+ head in an 8 space rack with a power conditoner, Korg Tuner, and a BBE sonic maximizer. I sometimes use a dbx 166a compressor (which is an excellant compressor for bass), but not recently as I've been going for a more "driven" kinda tone. My experience with compressor pedals is that they are not as good as rack units. They tend to be not as flexible, and to my ears just don't sound as good. Often coloring the sound. One exception would be the Trace Elliot dual compressor pedal. I've had good luck with this pedal, although it can be moody about high output basses, such as my 18volt EMG DC's.

Another suggestion for the Bass 400+ is to use both inputs at the same time(recommended by the Mad Subwoofer) This is can be done either from an effects pedal with stereo outputs or an a/b/y type box that allows both outputs to be used at once. The amp really sounds great like this. Really PHAT, punchy sound. Try it and experiment with setting each pre-amps volume different.

4. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    KillerB, How do you use both inputs at the same time? Do you need a line splitter?

5. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    A line splitter like a Morley A/B/C which let's use either output A, output B or output A&B would work. Also any effect pedal with stereo outputs. Many chorus and delay pedals have these. I use the stereo outs from my Boss DD-5 digital delay pedal. Or if you happen to have a bass with stereo outs like a Rickenbacker that would work too I imagine.

6. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Cool idea. I'm gonna try that and see what happens. What do you think of that boss delay pedal you mention? Is it worth getting or do you think some other type would be better? also, does it effect your overall sound having a pedal in the middle?

7. I recomend getting yourself one of those Mesa shock racks for your 400+. They are butt-heavy but insurance like that is priceless IMO. My well-intentioned drummer pal try to help me once by moving my stack w/o asking first. My Mesa 400+ face planted from about shoulder height onto a concrete floor. This was of course on our way to the studio so I was completely screwed. I ended up recording with a GK 800RB and a Sansamp; not actually a bad set-up but not what I had payed thousands o' $$ on my Mesa for, eh? The amp itself was undamaged but would not work until I had re-tubed it. But y'know what? That was all I had to do. The amp fired right up with no further problems (besides the weight) and all because it was in a Mesa roadready shock case. If I had cut corners and gone with an SKB or something, My amp would have been royally F**KD. Another lovely thing about Mesa bass amps is that if a tube goes, you just yank it out and keep on moving. In theory you could do this until you only had a few working power tubes. this sounds like sci fi I know, but it is definitley true! I had a tube blow during a gig, yanked it ou and kept playing for another hour! Woohoo!
    In terms of getting a compressor; unless you plan on using it for an effect (growly fingerstyle for example,) don't bother. Tubes have a natural compression unto themselves which is precisely why I bought the 400+ in the first place.
    I still would stomp on one for effect but to run one always might defeat that sweet open tube sound that you paid all that $$ for in the first place. IMHO; don't bother. Running through both pre-amps is the only way to go with this amp as well. You drive the power section a little harder and can get a much fuller sound; try it! Any splitter will do; cheap chorus, a/b box, whatever. You may take all of this with agrain of salt bytheway; I sold my 400+ for a M-2000 3 years ago. I miss it but not as much as I missed having someone to help me carry that pig of a set-up at 3 am!
    Good luck; enjoy!!