Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mesa 400+ showed up, now i have some questions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Jul 29, 2003.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    alright...so it showed up today. before i hooked it up, i checked the inside of it. there's one tube that doesn't look like the rest. all the others are the mesa tubes, and one is not. it's a 6L6, but it's not the same size as the mesa's. then i hooked everything up, and let it warm up for a few minutes. this specific tube didn't light up, so i'm thinking that means it's blown. the amp seems alittle noisy, but i wonder if that's from having old tubes. the store i place i bought it from didn't know the age of the tubes. the amp doesn't sound as clean as i thought it would. not that i wanted "hi fi" or anything, but i have a friend with a 400, which sounds alittle clearer than mine does at the higher volumes. is this just a matter or tubes?

also...the fan won't spin. it turns on, but it looks like it's catching on something in there. i'm thinking i'm going to take it out and sand out the inside part to see if that helps.

so i want to do a complete retube. what do you recommend, and where should i get them. i want a full, balanced, clear (not too clear, but not too muddy), loud tone. i'm thinking about sovtek 12ax7lps's for the preamp, but i don't know much about power tubes. please let me know. thanks

2. Mesa actually makes a re-tube package, complete with 12 - 6l6's, 4 - 12AX7's, and new fuses and such, all for less than it would cost to just buy the power tubes.

I dunno if you want MESA 6l6's, but this is just an idea.

As well, I have a question of my own. Is it possible to retube a MESA 400+ with 6550's? that would be killer, very killer.

~Zentner

3. Zharlon

Zharlon From Ice Station Zebra....to Deep Charch 9

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    The best thing you can do is to send an e-mail to LORD VALVE at ..(umwhat is it again...ncs electronics?)...anyway..someone will post here what exactly the company is...in Denver Colorado...I think NCS electronics(but I might be wrong)...Lord Valve will quote you all the pricese for ALL possible replacements fer the 400+...and he'll respond quickly(he did for me)....take his advice, he is legendary...

MESA 400+ crushes all that oppose it.....
    many have tried..all have failed

4. basses5

basses5

Oct 31, 2002
    Wichita,KS
    Uh,that's NBS Electronics
    lord-valve.freeyellow.com

5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I highly recommend the JJ Tesla 6L6GC. I replaced mine with these. The second choice would be Svetlana,only because I have heard they can become michrophonic earlier. What is the STR# on the tubes? If it is STR 454, these ARE Svetlanas. The JJ Tesla preamp ecc83s (12AX7).

6. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    so will new tubes clean up the sound? the amp was made in 95, and the place i got it from said they didn't know how old the tubes were, so i'm guessing it's time.

also...the one tube that doesn't match, also doesn't light up. does this mean it's blown? will the amp still run fine for a few shows until i can get all new ones? let me know. thanks.

7. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

What tubes are in there, STR-430's ?. The JJ Tesla 6L6GC will give you a bigger, cleaner, better lows, highs, mids (dynamics). DO A SEARCH here, but I believe you can run on even pairs (like Fenders). So you would take out the bad one and it's side mate. (I think the one behind it). This may clean it up some. Another site is www.eurotubes.com