Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400+...Skydiving??

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Apr 25, 2005.

1. So saturday my band played in Chico, CA and 4 songs into the set my new (used) Mesa 400+ decides Skydiving is in, and launches off my 8x10. once we started playing the rumble shook a nail loose in the floor board and started the cab rocking. i had my back to it, and it wasn't obvious to anyone.. ... the speaker cable held it dangling for a second and then it gave way. the fuse blew and some tubes were damaged. i saw a flash when it hit (i'm assuming that was the fuse), and once i replaced the fuse it powered back up. sound was low-volume, and farty. tubes most likely? there were none broken however. some lit and some didn't when it was powered back up. i finished the gig playing through the PA.

My guitarist was loading in the trailer after the gig and he grabbed his roadcase with his 35th anniversary Marshall Tube head in it... the bottom came off the case and the amp tumbled down into the street. we heard explosions, insanity, horror...etc... so we then drank shots. a lot of them.

2 tube rigs decide to take up Action Sports. AT THE SAME GIG. nice.... :rolleyes:

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Damn tube rigs need TO LEARN AMPS CAN NOT FLY, though they continue to try to this day.

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    mesa 400+, if i owned one, it would be in a shockmount case.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's why, when given the chance, I set my amps on the floor next to my gear. It's a pain to squat down to change settings, but, I also never had a head fall off an 8x10 stack (horror of horrors).

5. it was absolutely mind-blowing.. never ever ever seen anything like that ever.. i've already got a loinger speaker cable for placing the current rack next to it. Mo'Phat has offered me a shockmount case (duh....) but i didn't have enough $$$$ before this trip to get it. I have a killer SKB case, but it's not a shockmount.. i know.. i had planned on using the cash from the shows to get it between now and wednesday when we leave again... but....that didn't happen... Paul!! i still want that case if you got it!!!! we got Humboldt, Mendocino, and Arcata this weekend.. i have a backup, and it's gonna be a VERY cloudy weekend so i'm kinda glad the Mesa is staying home...

6. At leat mine was "kinda" minor. My guitarist's Marshall (like 256 made or something) is most likely toast. well maybe now he'll buy that Krank rig we want him to get :bag:

7. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    ... and you put this in "Bass Humour...". What's funny about this? Oh my God!!!! :( Hopefully it's just some tubes. Good luck!

ANDRUCA

8. i can't get pissed.. it happened and i gotta fix it...

9. I can't...

I just...

oh, the horror...

Gus, the case is still for sale, and if you got some caysh from the gig (and didn't drink yourself silly afterward) let me know if you still want it.

damn...just, damn.

HOWEVER, I bet you a beer or two that when you replace the tubes and fuse, it'll still work like a champ.

One more hint, on shaky stages, put your 8x10 on it side. This lowers the center of gravity and makes the freefall distance that much shorter.

Last...I retubed my 400+ but still have the stock Mesa's, If you need some for cheap, let me know.

10. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    set your head on a couple of mouse pads and it'll have enough traction that it won't move. No matter how loud you play.

11. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    wow! what an amazingly adult and mature attitude that is.

Me? I would go nuke if that happened.

Good luck.

12. so i wasn't able to get the 400+ fixed before we leave for Humboldt County tonight.. DAMN!! oh well.. i'm surpsiesed at how good my 800 RB sounds through the 8x10 however... it'll be perfect for what we've got this weekend...