1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa 400+ Sound Clips or Artist Recordings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, May 5, 2006.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Before you go sending me to BassTasters, I already checked and no clips there. Can anybody name rock bassists that use the 400+ and have recorded songs (miked) with it that I can listen to? This way I can listen to how various artists dial in the head differently and get a feel of which tone I want to go for when EQing the head.

Thanks!!!! :D

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Paul McCartney uses one live. Check out Back in the USA or Live at Red Square.

3. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Sean Anderson from Finger Eleven plays one, in the studio and live. The early Thursday albums are a 400+. I think the bass player for Jeff Buckley also used a 400+.

4. BrEaKcYcLe

BrEaKcYcLe Guest

Nov 16, 2002
    laplace, la
    John Campbell from Lamb Of God uses a Mesa 400+

5. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Mike Anthony Used to use several 400+'s

6. Quadzilla

Cool, keep em coming. Though I read that early Tool (Undertow album, etc) may also be with a 400+. Not sure. If it is, that is a HUGE sound!!!

7. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    You do. You're loving it, too.:bassist:

8. Quadzilla

Huh?

9. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Paul D'Amour used Ashdown, as far as I know. I think Justin Chancellor used a 400 on Aenima, which is a slightly different amp, but you can get the tone of one with the other. But Justin also uses like $5000 in effects, so I'm not sure how much you can attribute his sound to the amp. But I'm not entirely sure on that one, it may have been Paul who used a 400.

10. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I'm pretty sure that Justin used a Mesa 400+ for his clean tone live. For a dirtier tone, he used Mesa 600(can't remember the prefix:scowl: )

Don't know what he's using right now, I read this in his Bass Player cover mag.

11. schmittuml

schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    i think claypool used to use mesa 400+'s.....not sure on what though i'll check it out.

12. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Didn't Ben Sheppard from Soundgarden use a Mesa 400+? Pretty sure he did.

13. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I'm pretty sure Ashdown was not out yet when Paul was in Tool. I saw them in 1993 and he was using a Mesa 400.

14. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Paul used a 400 with a Ric if I am not mistaken.

15. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    He did for a while, I think he used it on Superunknown. Soundgarden was weird with their gear, they all played peavey rigs at one stage, and then they all switched to mesa, but there was never an endorsement.

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Just got home from a gig where someone was using a Rick through my rig (400+ --> Bergantino NV 610+HT 210) and it sounded awesome. Not my particular cup of tea, but it was a huge sound.

17. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Yup:)

18. muppetprince

muppetprince

Dec 24, 2004
    England
    And if you look closely at his rack he now has a 400+ keeping it company!!:D

19. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Ohhh, I bet that sounded amazing:hyper: A Ric is THE major source of GAS for me right now. I'd still love to hear that 210 on top of your NV610. Oh, the possibilities:bassist:

20. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Just keep in mind that a lot of these recordings that are using 400+ amps are also using a bunch of effects and "studio magic" (compression, EQ) to get the sounds you hear on the records. The live sounds also might include rack effects and/or pedals.