Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mesa 400+ speaker cab hookup ??s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groovking, Sep 21, 2000.

1. ive got a 400+ head and a 2x10bt diesel cab and a 1x15b diesel cab , should they be wired to the head daisey chain, cab to cab? or should they be wired to the head individually,.if so to which inputs, the instructions are rather vague.....these are both 8 ohm cabs. thanks all , in advance !!

2. Congrats to a great amp!

Well when you have two 8 ohm cabs plugged in then the TOTAL impedance goes DOWN since they are running in parallel, so what you should do is to plug them to one 4ohm output each.

Whenever in doubt alway plug the speakers into the lowest (Ohmwise) output, this to preventing your amp to burn out.

Heres a link to Mesa 400+ manual, which is easy to understand I think.

ftp://ftp.mesaboogie.com/pub/Bass 400 Plus.pdf

Any further questions, please go ahead ;)

3. on the back of the mesa head the are three outputs...similar to an L, one on top which i believe i shouldnt use, its 2 ohm i think, then directly below are 2 other outputs, one of which i use with a single 8 ohm cab, and the other one next to it is the one i believe i would plug the other cab into....leaving the 2 ohm top output unused, am i correct,....ive seen the manual,.very vague. i realize daisy chaining will do the same thing because my total load with 2, 8 ohm cabs equals a 4 ohm load any way but i prefer findin out exactly which two out puts on the head to use........thanks for all the help!!!......jim

4. If you are using two 8 ohm cabs, plug into each of the 4 ohm outputs. If you just use one of your 8 ohm cabs then use one of the 8 ohm outputs.
    I hope you're using speaker cables and not instrument cables.
    This is the way I used my 400+ before I sold it.

Spike.

5. spike are these the 2 outputs on the bottom?, they are not marked. am i right in assuming 1 , 8 0hm cab would be put into either of the two bottom outputs, and whem you put another 8 ohm cab you plug it into the output next to the other bottom one, it thusly reduces to a 4 ohm load. leaving the single upper output which is above the left bottom output? output X heres a layout
    output X output X

6. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    What model 400+ do you have? Mine and i am pretty sure every other one has 6 speaker outputs on the back. There are two alone the top that are 2 ohms. And then four below them that 2 of them are 4 ohms and 2 of them are 8 ohms. Heres a picture of one i found on the net. ftp://ftp.mesaboogie.com/pub/Bass 400 Plus.pdf
    You can sort of see the six ouputs on the bottom picture on the left of the head. Is yours different than that?

7. groovking,

What timv says, I couldn't have put it better.
    The ohms outputs are in pairs and should be marked with their ohms value, although the 2 ohm ones were marked on the top on my '92 400+, and were a bit harder to see.

8. The ones on top are 2 ohms

the ones below to the left nearest the 600 ohm balanced output are 4 ohms

the ones below to the right, nearest the slave output are 8 ohms.

so if you have 2 cabs @ 8ohms you should plug them into one 4 ohms jack each, since the impedance drops when you plug them in parallel.

Hope this helps.

9. thanks everyone...i got it!! , i guess it was right under my nose, but im sure i wouldnt have figured it out on myself. ya, mine is the same 2 2ohm outs on top and then 2, 4 ohm outs on bottom left and 2, 8 ohm outs on right , so ill hook up each 8 ohm cab to its own 4 ohm out on the back of the head.....im sure ill be back.....thanks again everyone! jim

10. Glad you figured it out! Enjoy!

11. i live in the mass area and am looking for a brand new mesa boogie 2x10 diesel cab, i have a used one and want to get a new one, mesa is now producing powerhouse model cabs to replace the diesel series. i like EVs! new ones will have PAS, and different grille. if any one sees on could they let me know? thanks guys an gals! jim

12. yo groovking, i grew up in Beverly! Lived up in Ryal Side and went to Ayers, Briscoe, and a year of Beverly High before I moved up to NH 'bout 10 years ago.

Now I live in Boston :)

...and I"m on the hunt for a used Mesa Boogie 400+ !

13. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    so it stands to reason that 2 4ohm cabs go into the 2ohm outputs, right?

where would you plug in mis-matched cabs?

if i want to run a 8ohm and a 4ohm cab together, which outputs would i plug into?

wallerdub likes this.
  14. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I just went through the ringer on another thread the same.

I called Mesa and talked to Michael. He said you may run mismatched cabs. Run the 4 ohm
    cab into the 2 ohm output and the 8 ohm cab into the 4 ohm output. This applies, of course, only when you run 2 mixed cabs.

Kinda screwy, huh?

I was confused also. I found out that both my cabs were 8 ohm after all, so it don't matter.

I daisy chain the 2 cabs, and go into one 4 ohm output.

15. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    rockbobby - thanks for the mis-match info. you saved me a phone call to mesa.

once again though, the 2 4ohms would go into the 2ohm outputs, correct?

16. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Yeah, or if you you have double jacks, daisy the cabs.

17. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
  18. Plugging a higher ohm speaker into a lower ohm output of a tube amp? It is my understanding that this type of mismatch is much worse than going from a higher ohm output into a lower ohm speaker.
    http://www.geofex.com/tubeampfaq/taffram.htm
    :confused: