Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400+ Speakon??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by geggy spoiger, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Hello to one and all,

I was wondering and really hoping so, that it would be possible to have speakon jacks installed, as to take advantage of my cab's speakons, and to feel that little (lot) bit safer when playing gigs.

Has anyone done this?? or heard of this?? Would it be simple enough for any competent amp tech to do??

I realise theres not alot of room on the back, so if the job is possible, i'm guessing the 1/4" jacks have to go, right?

Please tell me it's possible!! :crying:

Thanks you.

Michael.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    im not sure about the modification.
    i do know that you can get quality speaker cables with 1/4" on one side and speakon on the other side, as well as double male bananna on one side and speakon on the other side. Adapters are also available.

3. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Amazing that they don't use speakons. Amazing.

4. ah, I was a bit surprised I didn't saw speakon connections on the back, but it's not that much of an issue, I think I'm going to buy it anyway

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You could always take the amp to a local electronics tech and ask if they can do it. It would void your warranty, but so long as there is sufficient room on the casing, it can be done. They'll just make a sturdy internal jumper from the binding posts to the speakon jack. I once had it done with a pre-speakon Carvin DCM2000 power amp, and it worked like a charm.

6. Mesa's been making the amp since like 1982 or so, and speakons have been common for the past, what 6-8 years? What's amazing?

7. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Amazing that they've not changed.

8. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I use the Monster 500 speaker 1/4 to 1/4 and the thing RIPS!!. I don't see why you need a speakon. The old SVTs never had them. It's only 300 watts.

9. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    How would speakons make you feel safer?

10. It's not that I've had it happen, but there's always the risk, even ever so slightly that something can happen. I just want to make sure my gear is going to be as safe as I can possibly make it. Chances it would cause damage?? I've previously had two tubes blow because I turned the amp off standby without a load attatched...Purely my fault of course, but still...

It would make me feel safer due to all the attributes that have been pointed out numerous times in threads that speakons are far superior to 1/4" jacks. Plain and simple. I just want that extra peace of mind.

Thanks to all those who have made such helpful posts.

11. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    Whats the difference between normal speaker cables and speakon cables?

12. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I actually like 1/4" better. I don't have to worry about people steping on my speaker cables and I'd rather have the cables pop out than risk the plug getting severly damaged or the amp crashing down. Pluse with 1/4" you don't have to really worry about them being wired the right way and such.

13. True. :spit:

My amp sits on it's side though, next to my cab, but you couldnt've known that. Good point.

I still want speakons...Whats the deal with gauges with speakons? Is the thicker the better?

14. In this context we're talking about an all tube amp. I'd much rather have a severly damaged plug than the amp not seeing a load at all and doing something funky to the tubes or transformer...

15. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Well what if it crashed on the floor. I'd rather have to replace the power tubes because of not connecting a load then to replace all the tubes or even worse buy a new amp because it broke in a fall.

16. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    I feel stupid for asking this but I dont understand the term "load". You said you blew two tubes because you turned the amp off standby without a load attached, do you mean you turned the standby switch off when the head wasnt connected to any cabinets or anything. Why would the tubes blow?

17. Again...my amp sits on it's side, NEXT TO the cab. It's housed in a Shock-mount Road Ready rack case, on the floor, it's not going to fall...

shaunathan32, yes when I said 'load' I was reffering to a cab. I don't know the technicals of it, but all tube amps should always be connected to a load when they're off standby, thats why the tubes went.

18. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    It's really a matter of preference. It would be nice if Mesa would add speakons to the Bass 400+. I personally don't like 1/4" for speakers because I find a lot of plugs and jacks get loose after being stepped on or even gigged so many times. Speak-ons ensure a much better connection from the amp to the cable.

If you put your head on top of your amp, then yes, it does become a danger of your head getting pulled off. If you have an attached power cord (like most tube Mesa's do), then you're most likely already running that risk.

Speakons and heavy gauge cable (I use 8 and 10 gauge at work - I do a/v) also can help the sound quality in longer runs. I notice it when I put my 1516s in stereo on either side of a stage with 20' cables and my rack next to the drums, in comparison with standard 14 gauge speaker cable. With the good cables the bass seems more defined and I don't have to push the amp as hard to get my volume (though I know it can just be a mind trick). It's also more noticable with higher power - my example is when I'm using my PLX 3402.

Either way, I don't see the need for animosity over it. I'm about to make a 10ga cable for my Mesa to my Schroeder (which should be on its way shortly) with a speakon on one end and a GH MegaFoot for the quarter inch. It'll work fine for me :)