Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400+ + svt 610 = good sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kingbrutis, Nov 9, 2004.

1. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I will be picking up A mesa 400+ tommrow to go with my Ampeg svt 610 cab. I have read ALOT of positive thins about the mesa on harmony. Advice anyone? Like if I practice on it 4-5 times a weak, will the tubes die fast. I know it is all subjective, but in genral. Should I buy one of those $99,150 watt Hartke amps to practice with onstead of the mesa? Also I play a thru neck Dean Improv with passive emg's. I'm hopeing that it will give me a DEEP low warm rumble. I usually play with a pick so it should cut thru very well huh? BTW, where is the best place to get replacement tubes? Should I have a couple extra to put in if needed? Thanks Joe

2. Hey dude,

I didnt take time to see your profile or what type of music you play.. But if you want to have a big rock-rumble sound Mesa Boogie is not really your best bet... But you got the GOOD cab for that!! I would suggest you to go in the Ampeg SVT classic its way cheaper than Mesa and it kicks WAY more!
    I'm really not a Ampeg addict, I hate playing those cause my sound is more metallic but for a rock boomy sound. Ampeg is your thing!!! for cheaper and way more versatile!

Take care dude...email me if you have other questions, i'm not on this board too often.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    What are you talking about?

The Ampeg is a growly rock beast for sure, but it is more grindy in the mids and highs where as the Mesa is more rumbly in the lower end.

Both are bassy, but comparatively speaking thats where they land.

4. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    mesa 400 is a good unit and i had it paired with a mesa 410 cabinet. great sound and reliability, but got rid of both in favor of a mesa walkabout and eden cab both at 4ohms. that's more than enough power for any band situation and it doesn't break your back. if i need more than that, i run a direct out to the board. i just got tired of humping heavy ass gear around.

as far as tubes go, depends on how much you play. they should last at least a couple years. re-tubing w/b expensive especially if you decide to use really good tubes. there's no bias adjustment on mesa so you have to use equivalent tubes OR have a bias installed in the amp. there's way smarter people on here that can tell you more about tubes than you'd ever want to know. good luck man.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The 400+ is only $100 more than the Ampeg. It's a good head. A bit more clear sounding than the SVT, but not as growly in the low mids. Whatever floats your boat, that's what you should get.

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I owned an Ampeg 610hlf and they are killer cabs. I'm sure it would sound great with the 400+ BUT you owe it to yourself to try the SVT4pro or even the B4r with the 610hlf before you buy the 400+. Give them all a listen then buy the one that sounds best to you.

7. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The 400+ is one of the best heads I've ever tried. But you're gonna have a different oppinion than me so try as many amps as possible through that cab to find what you like best.

8. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I just got the Mesa. I paid $500 for it. So from shopping around, I got a great buy on it. I play hardcore (hatebreed, madball, sinai beach, bad brains, zao) and some old style punk (pennywise, nofx, anti hero's). I practice alot of blues. My bass also has very hot passive emg's. It should sound pretty thick. Thanks Joe

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    $500!

Used?

You bastard. ;) Thats a nice deal.

10. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Thanks for the replys. I am heading down to The Bass Place here in Tempe AZ to get some DR black beauties or labella coated strings to try out. I used the Labella's on my fretless and it was way deeper than my fatties. BTW, it's pretty cold in Vancouver now huh? It will be 80 today in AZ. The winter stinks without hockey. Later Joe

11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    You didn't buy it, you stole it!!! :cool:
    At that price you definatly did the right thing.

12. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    My rig consists of a 400+ and a Mesa 410 and I love it. The two inputs are great to have. They say one of them is more for active pick ups (cannot remember which) but it does'nt matter which you jack into go with whatever has the better tone to your ears. Yeah, 500 is a steal, at that price I would make sure your tubes are happy, they may very well need replaced. I got my amp loaded with JJ tubes and its great. Can't say I ever A/B a 400+ plus with JJ tubes versus one with the Mesa's but my amp tech guru swears by JJ and hey they sound good to me. If you switch brands you will have to get it re-biased. I can only imagine the balls your tone will have coming out of that 610. Would not mind having one myself, but I am going for a 15 to put under my stack.

Also, you may want to invest in a shock rack, or some means of putting your amp somewhere besides on top of your cab. I know, I know its what all the cool kids do, but all that bowel moving low end rattles the Sh*t out your tubes. Just something to think about.

13. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Nice price. I thought I was lucky when I found one for $600. Now I am shamed :bawl: :crying:

14. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ

Thanks for the info. I bought the amp from an old guy who just getting out. He just replaced the pre tubes(gave me the old ones as back ups, says they are still good) He said he bought it new about 3 yrs ago. He says they were played alot for the first year but after that a handfull of times as his band broke up. It is freakin LOUD. On the back of the amp, where there are two ouputs to go to the 4 ohm cab, do I run both of them to the cab? It has 2 outputs also.Where do I get a shock rack from? What do they usually cost. I'm kinda hurting for cash now. Plus I don't even have a band now.Where do you get JJ tubes? What do you have to do to to change the bias? I work with a buch of eletronic nerds, opps did I say that. I meant wizards. Thanks again for all the help. Joe

15. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Check out this place.Tube Depot This is not place I was thinking of but seems like a good source.

As far as Biasing goes, I don't think you want to try and tackle that yourself. Will definately want a "tech" to do that. I don't think its terribly difficult if you know how, but I sure as hell would not know where to begin.

No, just use one. Don't think it would be a good thing to plug them both in. Those two jacks on your cab are actually inputs not outputs :) Though they are wired so you can go in one and out the other to another cab, like a daisy chain. Don't worry about which one is which cuz you can use either, just don't send signal to both at the same time, that can't be good.

Bad news is shock racks are spendy, look for a used one. Any from $200 to like $500 or so for a 4-6 space. SKB makes a decently priced oneRoto Shock Rack, though I don't really like the Roto stuff, kinda flimsy. Almost every case manufacturer makes one. Anvil makes the good stuff.

In the mean time, especially if you are not giging, put the amp on a table or something. Make sure that fan is not blocked. Oh, yeah if you don't already know, don't touch those tubes (any of them) with your bare hands.

16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I wouldn't worry about changing the bias, really. Just get tubes that fall within Boogie's factory determined bias and you're all set. Tubes should last you a long time - 2-10 years depending on how often you play, how hard you run it, how much you move it, whether you set it on top of your cab, etc.

17. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    I live in mesa and have a 400+, an old svt and some other stuff. I have done quite a few things to my 400+ as far as maintenance and the like. If you ever need anything done you could get in touch with me and I can help you out, tubes, bias etc... I have an electronics degree and work on old tube amps as a hobby. I've had to change the power caps and I have added adjustable bias to mine. I got mine for 500 also but about 8 years ago. It is an old one with the 6 band eq on it. Good find.... You can get the jj's from euro tubes in oregon for good prices.