1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa 400+ tips needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wvbass, Mar 22, 2009.

1. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    At rehearsal today, I used the "house amp" = Mesa Boogie 400+ through an Ampeg 410hlf. Its a great amp, and I can hear all kinds of potential, but I just couldn't get it dialed in quite right. I like to be able to cut through the mix a little without being overly loud, but I had a tough time keeping this rig from sounding boomy. Some notes and strings were louder than others, etc.

Help!

1) Where is flat? The knobs go from 1 to 10, I think, so I have no idea where flat is on the bass, middle and treble. I like to start flat and adjust from there.
    2) What do all the pull switches on the knobs do? Are they useful?
    3) What about the graphic eq? Should I use it. I went about half the rehearsal without it (to reduce the number of tone-changing controls on an amp I didn't understand), and then tried to use the eq to tame the boomy low end.

Any suggestions? I think it is probably a great rig, I just don't understand it, and there's a ton of knobs, faders and pull switches.

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Flat is 2-10-2

The pull knobs change the EQ points.

The graphic EQ is subjective, some people like it, some people don't.

My advice is to get there very early next time, and just spend some time with the amp.

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    These are tricky amps to dial in.
    A good (flat-ish) starting point is usualy considered to be mid knob set between 8 to 10 / Bass 0 to 2 / Treble 0 to 2.
    Your mid tone knob is cut only. Bass and Treble are boost only.

I always tell guys to turn all 3 tone knobs completly off to start. (you'll notice there's no sound at all...:eek:
    Now just bring each knob up one at a time, to get a good idea what each knob actualy does all by its self. If your like me you'll quickly notice how full sounding just using the mid only is and how little of the bass/treb you actualy need.

I never used my EQ much and I'll let the others fill ya in on the pulls.

I witnessed another bassist attempt to gig my 400+ with his HLF410. He chose to ignore my recommended initial settings... between his tweaker clainkin and all that loose boom (with no mids) he seemed to be havin a good bit of trouble getting through his set... ;)

Heres a bunch of TalkBass threads with allot more 400+ knob settings info: http://www.google.com/custom?domain...;S:http://www.talkbass.com;LP:1;FORID:1&hl=en

4. jellymax

jellymax

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    that cabinet is kinda boomy right there. you might need to compensate a bit with
    eq to make it work, but i dont think the head is your problem.

5. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

I agree. Those cabs are very boomy.

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I've tried the 410HLF, and my experience is it's a boomy cabinet. It's a bad match-up.

You may just want to switch the eq panel off, and only use the rotary dials.

7. Georges Abitbol

Georges Abitbol Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2005
    Paris, France
    Hi wvbass,

Maybe you should read the user manual, especially the "Tone control" section.

I use the Mesa 400+ with a 4x10 Powerhouse, it's the perfect pair for me. I always start with all controls on 5 (no pulled knob, graph eq off), then I adjust volume (starting from 0), master, and other knobs if needed. Most of the time, it's already OK. It works for me, I guess it could work for you.

8. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Another simple tip: use a Y cord and run both inputs simultaneously - gives you a "tubier"sound.

9. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Exactly what I needed to know. Thank you.

10. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I usually start flat and adjust from there. Hard when you don't know where flat is. Now I understand why I ended up with bass-mid-treble set to 2-9-6.

11. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Boomy cab - something I hadn't considered. I agree. The head was probably not the problem. Of course, my lack of understanding didn't help anything.

12. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    RTM...Always good advice. That I can do.

13. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Being tubey enough was definitely not a problem. Thanks everyone for the input!