Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mesa 400 tube question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kidvsking, Mar 20, 2003.

1. i recently bought a used mesa 400 (not the plus) but instead of 6556's the guy was running it with 6 6L6's. i know that this gives the amp less power but i dont have the money to buy the new tubes yet. so is there anything really wrong with running the amp with the less powerful tubes (will it hurt the amp/burn out the tubes), or will it just have less power? oh yeah, and if you have any suggestions where i can buy a good set of 6556's at a good price, i'd appreciate it. thanks for your help.

2. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    you're fine with those 6L6's. from what i understand, the 400 originally came with 6550's but then mesa switched to 6L6's. if you do decide to retube with 6550's, go to www.thetubestore.com. they've been helpfull trying to find tubes for my mesa d180.

3. mthoople

mthoople

Nov 1, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Early 400's shipped with 6550's, later ones with 6L6's. As long as the 6L6's take the plate voltage, they'll be fine.

I put Sovtek 6550WD's in mine -- from Lord Valve, of course! These have a smaller base so you don't have the remove the 6L6 beartrap clamps.

Matt