Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400+ tube recomendation?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zharlon, May 5, 2003.

1. Zharlon

Zharlon From Ice Station Zebra....to Deep Charch 9

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    Tis about time to replace me tubes in ye ole 400+(So many tubes!! ouch)...I have read some posts regarding a difference tween the 6L6 and 5881 tubes , in terms of sound and power...I was hoping that y'all could post your experience/opinions pertaining to tubes.....I am most interested in buttery, slithering,undulating tube pleasure, as opposed to output power(after all...it is a 400+, and I am not looking to hurt the neighbors or the audience for that matter)....any and all input would be appreciated.....
    [​IMG]

2. JJ Electronics or Svetlana 6L6GC's. They're both great; the JJ's are more mechanically stable and will last longer. Both will improve the amp's overall volume and tone. The difference between a 6L6GC and a 5881/6L6GB type is more of headroom than volume. I also highly recommend having a tech install bias adjustment pots of your grid lines for maximum flexibility and serviceability.

There are quite a few threads that cover this very question in greater detail. Use the search function and check them out. If you have any more questions after that, post them here.

3. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Yes, Do what Psycho said.
    Hi Psycho...

4. Rockbobmel

Yes, Do what Psycho said. I got the JJs. It took the honk sound out, Improved headroom, better lows, sweeter higs.
    Hi Psycho...

5. What PBG said. I would put some 12ax7EH in the pre side too. They are very quiet and sound great with the SVETs.

6. Zharlon

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    blurab!!! I went to other threads related to this and have the same questions.....I guess I really ought to just try to get that valve lord guy on the horn eh? an hour of parusing threads and have seen like 12 oposing arguments, as well as some hilarious personal jabs at different TB members and I can say only this....What Tubes(model, brand) ought I go purchase for the beastie? ..Oh and sorry if I am being redundant, but my 6 scitzotypal personalities somtimes keep me from digesting information correctly...for this thread I'll try to stay with just being Clarissa( the english poet, personality #4)
    thanks
    Leroy

7. Zharlon

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    Answer now or forever hold your peace...

What is your opinion of best replacement tubes for the 400+?

What is your opinion of the best place to search out these tubes....?

8. Rockbobmel

Here's my answer...... Get the other five guys to sit down with you and re-read the thread. You alone have failed to see the obvious...:rolleyes: :bassist:

9. FYI; the Mesa labelled AX7's are in fact the Sovtek EH's. I tried about a half dozen rare and "hallowed" preamp tubes last year and ironically enough, ended up jiving on those EH's above all.