1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mesa 400+ tube recommendation?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rawrOOO, Aug 3, 2007.

1. rawrOOO

rawrOOO

Jul 12, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    hello all!

ive got a 400+ head, running it with an aguilar 4x10 cabinet. the sound gets too grungy too soon for my tastes. id prefer it gets louder before giving me breakup, both in the pre and power sections. right now it's got svetlanas in both sections

ive retubed guitar amps before but never a bass amp so this is some new territory for me. i use pedals for different distortion sounds (EH english muffin, zvex woolly mammoth, prescription electrionics COB), i dont really need the amp giving me too much additional distortion. id rather the amp just be amplifying what im putting into it, staying clean but full and warm ya know?

i played a brand new 400+ at a store and loved the sound. real clean and bright, plenty full. im guessing it had mesa tubes in it, which my very well be the answer.

what tubes do you like for an amp like this?

thanks!!

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Don't use Mesa tubes. They're just re-branded groove tubes which are just re-branded other tubes.

I chose a set of JJ's from Bob @ Eurotubes, as many others here have.

3. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Mr Eurotubes is the man to go to for these Mesa amps.

4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    In my time with a 400+, I've found preamp tubes make more of a difference than power tubes. I like Mesa SPAX7 (I think that's the name - expensive 12AX7 but very quiet). I have also tried regular MESA, JJ from Eurotubes, Sovtek, and ancient US tubes. The ancient US tubes sounded good, but made more of a difference in a guitar amp so I used them in that instead.

For power tubes, in my experience, the 400+ is very forgiving. Just about any functioning tube that is operating within the parameters the amp is set up for will sound great. I've tried Sovtek, Mesa, and JJ from Eurotubes; I bought a matched set from Eurotubes specifically selected for the 400+. I have found that the mix-and match set of MESA and Sovtek is has in it now sounded virtually identical to the matched set of Sovtek tubes, which sounded very like the original Mesa tubes. The matched set of Eurotubes made the amp sound thinner, with a less "full, rounded" low end. They did make decent guitar amp power tubes.