Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mesa 400+ users: tube question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bbp, Sep 16, 2002.

1. bbp

bbp

Jul 25, 2002
    if i wanted to replace the 6L6 GC tubes with tubes of better quality than mesa's, what would i use? one of the reasons i bought this head was cause of the premanent bias of the tubes. since bias varies, how do i know what bias i have? i'm more concerned with reliability and dependability than sound. if it's a little different than what i'm used to, i can do some know twiddling. i know there's tube gurus out there, so thanks in advance for the help.

2. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Svetlana. Get 'em from Lord Valve.

3. billhw13

billhw13 Supporting Member

May 10, 2002
    Clinton, NJ
    I agree with calling Lord Valve...He may also suggest some others that you can use to replace the 6L6. In my Mesa bass buster head (which uses six 6L6 types) he recommended 7581A's Philips JAN NOS. They sound outstanding.

4. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Funny, PBG!

I just had this same discussion with another "tube head" friend of mine while discussing why some amps can't be biased properly even when using supposedly "matched" tubes.

Tube "matching" may get you a lot "closer", but only in certain circuits and under certain circumstances.

He was saying essentially, that if he had a 400+, he would go the adjustable bias route.

Nice to see you backing up his claims.