Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400+ vs 400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thumper, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Still shopping for one of these units. Is the newer unit better than the older, or is it sixes?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Did you get my email? And PM?

3. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I did, thanks. I'm not ready to pay quite that much for one (asking $1,100). I didn't get the email, only the PM.

4. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    my understanding is that the mesa 400 is actually only 200 watts. anyone know if this is true of not?

5. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Thumper...the one in Chicago is $1100?

I just sent you another PM...

6. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    BB, PM'd you back. Yeah, asking was $1095, when people start that high, I don't usually talk to them.

7. The old 400 had 6x6550s, so it was about 300W. The 400+ has 12x6L6s so it's about....... 300W!
    Both sound great and are very, very loud.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Thumper, they're actually pretty decent guys at that shop and seem willing to whack $$ off quite willingly.

Give it a shot, the worst that they could say is no...

Good luck!!!

9. I owned a 400 and even though it has 6-6550's I think it puts out more like 220 watts because the transformers are not as big as lets say an SVT. I really liked the sound of it. Ran it with a road ready 2x15 and later added a 2X10, very warm and punchy.

10. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i just sold mine, recently retubed in a roadready 6 space for $925.

11. so what would be a good price for a used 400, not 400+?

12. does 700 sound about right?

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The 400 is rated at 200 watts, but it will run higher on 6550's. You can't get these tubes anymore so that's a little moot.

The 400+ is 500 watts, and has a 7 band EQ vs. a 6 on the 400. Both are great. Good luck on nabbing one!

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Since when? I've been pricing full tube sets for my 6550 sunn all this week I found a bunch at the $65/pair & $130/quad price. Plus if you've got the clearence KT88 will work (I'm actually doing that upgrade myself... the JJ stuff looks good to me IMO)

15. The original Bass 400 came with 6x6550s in the power section and as far as I can tell was rated at 300W. You most certainly can still get 6550s;). That's what all the Ampeg CL series amps and the Aguilar amps use. Those are brand new 6550s in my avatar....:D
    They switched to 12x6l6s before they changed it to the 400+. Contrary to Mesa/Boogie's propaganda all versions of the amp are around 300W. You can get an absolute maximum of 25 clean watts out of a 6l6 (21-22 more realistically) and 12x25 is 300. 6550s are 50W tubes.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter, all versions of this amp sound great, are well built and are loud as hell, it just irks me that M/B is fudging their numbers.

16. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Yeah, Mesa literature lists peak watts which is probably true but a little misleading. I spoke to Mesa and they said the original 400 was around 180 watts. I've narrowed my search to the 400+ but might get an Aguilar 359 if it came my way for the right price. Seems like the Aggie might be a little bassier and the Mesa more of a low midrange sound from the reviews I've read. I walked into a local shop yesterday, and a used H-K 600 BaseBass went for $400, wish I'd seen it 1st.

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Boy, that's the dang truth! I had two 400+'s (one a very early model from '91 that had one less fader on the EQ) and only kept the newer one. I'm starting to regret selling the other one. Irrational, yes. I never even use the one I kept because it's too heavy for my old, middle-aged back. But they're just such good amps!:cool:

18. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Well, since you're not using it, maybe you should sell it to me? I've got a touchy back, and since decent bass players are hard to come by around here, my band won't let me pick up anything heavy :)

19. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

You are right about the Mesa's propaganda. What about the "No less than 12 5881s" crap. Also their speaker cab descriptions read like Ampeg's. (Same hype for each cab) The amps are made well, though. And customer support is stellar.

20. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    RB, you have a PM.