Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400+ vs. Aguilar 359

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thumper, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I have been offered a decent price on an Aguilar, it's still a bit more than a Mesa I'm looking at and getting ready to make an offer on. Is there anything about the Aggie that would make it worth $400 more than the Mesa? The less rack space is nice (2 vs 4), I'm not sure if the 200 watts will cut it though.

2. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    200 watts from an all tube amp is pretty loud as long as you have efficient speaker cabinets. i use my 200 watt mesa d180 with two mesa 1x15's and can keep up fine with a very loud drummer and two guitarists running 80 watt fender twins. i don't think i would be able to play with anything less than a 2x15. my tone is also pretty overdrive which you may not like. i would go with the mesa for the clean headroom and lower price.

3. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    stevekim, that's the direction I'm leaning towards. I play through a SWR Goliath III stacked on an Eden 115 XLT. I also have a 118 with a separate amp for when we play an outdoors mountain gig for the local Abate group. Besides, I get the feeling Mesa will be around for awhile for that all important tech support. We do lot's of different stuff, including overdrive though (love the Fulltone Bassdrive). But I'm starting to realize one or 2 great tones mean more than alot of versatility.