mesa 400+ vs. ampeg svt 4 pro (last time)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Aug 25, 2003.

1. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    alright...i bought a mesa 400+. it needs to be retubed. but here's the thing. i think i'm more of an ampeg guy when it comes down to it. i have a guy who is willing to do a straight across trade for his svt 4 pro. now...there are 2 reasons i'm thinking about doing it. 1) to have an ampeg again. 2) i'm in a really loud band, and i need to rely on my amp to do the job for me, because the only pa we get is for the vocals (usually). it's not that i don't think the mesa can do it, but it's more that i'm worried that with pushing it that hard as much as i will, that it will cause me to go through tubes more often. that said...since we don't really use a pa, the tonal difference between an all tube amp, and a hybrid would be minimal (at least to most listeners). and i think i'd be alittle safer running 1000 watts bridged than 300 tube, for the sound that i want (not too clean...not too overdriven). what do you all think?
  2. bazzhed4

Aug 2, 2003
    Aberdeen MD
    i posted the last time you were on here asking the same q.

alls i can say is dude.....the mesa is going to be plenty loud for you. that mesa will blow away that svt. the 400+ isnt 300 watts....its more like almost 500...and that is tube watts. so you gotta remember that it may be rated at less than your ampeg..but i cantt see any reason why the mesa wouldnt be loud enough unless you were trying to play a full on concert hall without a soundman. my mpulse 600 run thru 1 4x10 is enough to push anyroom we play. my guitar players have to tell me to turn down on occasion and they are both running mesa boogie triple rectifiers thru marshal 4x12's. trust me man....the mesa is going to be plenty loud enough and you wont go through tubes as fast as you think. maybe once every 1 1/2 to 2 years you will have to retube. another thing to consider is that tube amps are easier to repair. if you have a problem with a solid state amp and you have to get it repaired it will cost you at least twice as much as getting a tube amp repaired. tube amps are less complicated and imo...more reliable.

but hey...its only my make your own decisions dude.

if i had the money i would buy your 400+ from you in a heartbeat. but im saving for a warwick thumb bo 5 so i cant. ill trade you two cats and a roommate for it?
  3. EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    What in the world do your guitarists need Triple Rectifiers for?

I'd say go for the Ampeg, but that is personal opinion.
  4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    The Mesa 400+ definitely is not 500 watts. IIRC it has 12 6L6 power tubes in it. I'm not sure what kind of 6L6 they use, but I'm guessing it's the 6L6GC, which has a rating of 30 W. Even if you could get all 30W out of each tube that would come out to 360 W. 25 W out of a 6L6GC is more typical, so the amp is probably producing 300 W. I don't know where Mesa comes up with their BS 500 W rating. Nonetheless, the 400+ is still a very loud amp.
  5. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    well...i've heard more bad than good about the svt 4 pro. mainly about it not being as stable as other amps when running bridged into 4 ohms. so i think i'm going to retube the mesa just to try it out and get the experience with it. that way i'll know what i'm dealing with. and if i don't like it and want to go back to ampeg, i could trade up for an svt, or sell it for enough to get a decent power amp and an svp pro. now i just need to decide between svetlana's or jj electronics for tubes. i want a thick tone that won't break up too quick.