1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa 400+ vs. Fender 300 pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by denton57, May 6, 2006.

1. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Ok, I recently seen the comparison between the Peavey 400 and the Fender 300 in this forum. How about the 400+ vs the 300 pro? One of these will be my next head. Which one stays cleaner the longest before breakup? Who here has owned both?

2. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Having never played the Fender, i'll just say that one of the Mesa's forte's is staying very clean, for a tube amp, before breaking up.

3. thumbman

thumbman Love that low end

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    dude...your buying an all tube amp to...stay...clean...:confused: :confused:

lol...sorry. i LOVE tube grit

but anyway.

i played the fender in a music store and it is really loud and really clean and has really got lots of low end to it...i didnt test it at HIGH volume because i couldnt get past 3 without hurting because of the low end...fun fun fun.

but from what i think from my experiance with it, it will stay clean as long as you keep the gain low.

but im sure more experianced people will chime in soon.:smug:

4. Both can stay pretty clean, pretty loud. But the Boogie's just better.

5. The 300 PRO can stay clean quite well. But as I said in another thread you need to have right cab(s) to do it at insanely loud volumes. With 2 ampeg 810s I was able to have the master at 8 and gain at 7 and the amp stayed clean, mind you it was not a hi-fi sounding clean, but clean enough in my opinion. Channel one is pretty low gain, I find an it will only overdrive if you really crank the gain past 8.5. Also it has a 6dB input pad for basses with hot outputs. Never playd the Mesa but the general consensus is that it has lots of clean headroom.

6. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I'm going to monitor this thread too. I still haven't purchase the new amp yet but the Fender is beating the Peavey right now. I never thought about the Mesa. I guess to throw another "monkey wrench" at you guys....which one of the 3 can run safest at 2 ohms? I am sure there are ways (trick chords...etc) to run them all of them at 2 ohms, but what about overheating. The Fender and Mesa are rated at 2 ohms, but I'm sure James Hart will say he doesn't have problems running his Peavey, and I'd believe him simply because Peaveys are tanks. The Mesa is fan cooled. The only downside to the Peavey, for me, is the weight. WHat does the Mesa's weight?

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

The mesa is right around 48 pounds, until you put it in a case. I have a 400+ and I use it to 'stay clean' too. It does so right up to the threshold of your cab. The Mesa has taps for 2,4,8 ohm loads and puts out it's full wattage in any of the three.

8. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    48 lbs??? Between the 3 (Fender 300, Peavey 400, Mesa 400+) right now the Mesa is winning. Anyone ever plug one into a black widow 15?

9. The Mesa is also the most expensive if you are buying new.

10. you're describing my dream setup.

i'm building a 2x15 with Black Widows.
    and i'm also seriously considering the 400+.

damn. i want tubey goodness.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I owned a Mesa, and played through a Sunn 300 a few times. I prefer the Mesa, in pretty much every category.

12. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    mesa > everything else

13. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Yes I'm looking for an all tube beast to feed into 2 black widow 1x15 cabs. I'd prefer used and it has come down to these 3. But does anyone else have a 4th contender to compare to?

14. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    you could also try an ampeg svt 2 pro.

i love my mesa 400+. i just wish i had a roadie to carry the friggen thing. once i realized what i had to do to get the sound i wanted, i was very pleased

15. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    The Mesa 400+ is A much more modern sounding amp than the SUNN/Fender 300-T . The fender Has old School thump and an overdrive channel. To get good clean midrange out of it you need to use the eq. They are both great amps and can get crazy loud. I found the Mesa 400+ to sound much better with other than Mesa tubes they are very harsh not musical sounding. The Fender sounds better with JJ ECC83 s tubes in the pre amp section. As with anyones opinion YMMV
    This is Just my opinion

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    +1. They are both very versitle amps, with tons of controls. As for the 2 Ohm thing, as with any tube amp that has a 2 Ohm jack, you can run all 3 safely at 2 Ohms with no problems whatsoever. Ohms are not issues with tube amps as long as you match up to the jacks.

17. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I love my Sunn 300T (same thing as Fender 300 Pro)
    It isn't an amp you can just plug in and go because on all the controls on that front panel. Once you dial in your tone it sounds incredible. I haven't had to push it past 5 yet in any clubs I've played with a matching 2x15

18. On the contrary, besides all the tone shaping that the amp offers, I just run my fender 300 Pro flat, with the compressor on, and it sounds great to me. But thats with my warwick thumb. With my fender jazz, I have to do quite a bit of eq"ing, so I suppose it has alot to do with the sound of your bass...