1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa 400+ vs. GK 400RB What?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigBud, Sep 1, 2008.

1. BigBud

BigBud

Dec 22, 2007
    So I'm down here in the basement with my new (to me) Mesa 400+, running my MusicMan SR 5 (20th Ann.) and I can't quite get the sound I want, and not really sure what that is. So I plug in my GK400RB and presto! Rolling thunder! The D on B string (third fret) moves objects with it's sonic boom! I'm running through a Dr. Bass DRB 115. What suggested setting would get me to that same level of joy with the Mesa 400+? Any suggestions? I'm a finger picker all the way. May just be that I'm a SS kind of guy, but I won't admit it until I've given the Mesa every possible chance to Wow me........Bud

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i bought a 400+ sight unheard and i tried so hard to like it. i tried so hard to get a useable tone with my p-bass, or my stingray, or my old ibanez bass and not once was i truly happy with it. it needed a sans amp for me to get a useable tone out of it. trading it up was the best thing i ever did.

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ps, you may find what you want by tweaking A LOT.

also try using the other input. one is designed for passive, one for active. try them both, the passive works better with an active i found.

4. BigBud

BigBud

Dec 22, 2007
    Xshawn....I know what you are saying....didn't mention it, but tried for about an hour to get my '74 Fender Jazz to sound right through the 400+.......just not satisfied for some reason.....Bud

5. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Learn the fender tone stack EQ.

Start at 2-8-2, bass, mid, treble. Go from there.

6. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    Simple solution: sell the mesa, keep the GK or buy a more powerful gk (80RB or 1001).

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    this is a good thing to know.

8. BigBud

BigBud

Dec 22, 2007
    Visirale.........I'll give that a try, to start. You had a 400 and went to a Titan didn't you? Did you run straight into the amp or through some box? Hey, gotta ask....is your avatar a photo from some star-trek convention? I have puzzed over that in the dark recesses of my basement........ Bud

9. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    +1 on this.

when i had a solder joint issue with my 400+ i used a friends 800rb and i must say, within seconds i dialed in a great tone.

10. BigBud

BigBud

Dec 22, 2007
    Now....now.... After finishing the great article in a recent Bass Player issue on tube amps, I had to give one a try, and have heard that the Mesa 400+ is up there with the best ever made. So I think it is more me and the settings than the amp itself. I'll figure it all out. Just taking in any seasoned advice........Bud

11. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    It's a good starting point for sure. A little goes a long way with it. It's been long enough that I can't give you any specific settings, but rest assured I got some great tones from it.

And yes, I did go straight into it. I also experimented going through an ABY box to split my signal and use both inputs at once, but never got too in depth with that. I am a lot smarter about bass gear than I was then, and could probably utilize it better now.

And my avatar is Daft Punk, a french duo that make the best house music on this side of the galaxy :).