1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa 400 vs. SVT-CL?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ETEcarmine, Mar 25, 2006.

1. ETEcarmine

ETEcarmine

Jun 29, 2005
    NYC
    I've never seen a Mesa 400 at any guitar shop, but people are always raving about it. I'm dying to try out the Ampeg SVT-VR, but since it's not out yet and we can't compare it to anything, how does the Mesa 400 hold up against the SVT Classic?

Thanks,
    Carm

2. I dunno about the 400+, but I find my 400+ to be much more versitle. It can be a ton cleaner, and can get some overdriven tones if you dial it in right. The CL is an OK amp, but the only tone I could get out of it was pretty much mud. That could have been the Ampeg 810 though...

3. ETEcarmine

ETEcarmine

Jun 29, 2005
    NYC

I just have to find a place to try the 400 out. I really dug the CL and got a great overdriven tone out of it, but I need to explore all my options before I drop that kind of $$$ on gear. Thanks for the reply. Anyone else?

4. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    SVT all tube amps have, IME, a characteristic sound that is instantly recognisable and easily gettable. On the other hand, the Mesa 400+ takes more work to become used to its tone controls but once you spend the time it is far more versatile than the SVT - although I can never quite get a total SVT copysound out of my 400+. You really need to try both in a gigging situation - certainly I do not regret changing from my SVT2 to the 400+, but it did take some work to adjust. Remember also that the 400+ is substantially lighter.

5. ETEcarmine

ETEcarmine

Jun 29, 2005
    NYC
    Thanks a lot for that. I found a store that has the 400+ in stock and I'm definitely going to spend some time on it.

Any ideas of what cab would compliment the 400+ best? So far I'm digging the Ampeg 410 HLF most with the SVT heads I've tried out.

6. Although I use a SVT Classic, I like the sound of the MEsa 400+, it would be nice to have one... I think the 400+ will sound great with a Schroeder cab!!!

7. I really like old SVT heads, but I can't get the same awesome tone out of the CL at all. The 2-Pro comes closer, but even then its not really the same as the old SVT.

8. ETEcarmine

ETEcarmine

Jun 29, 2005
    NYC

I hope that the new SVT-VRs that are coming out really live up to the old 70s blue line SVTs. If they do, they might just blow everything away.