Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mesa 400+ vs Thunderfunk 550

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, May 26, 2005.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Has anyone either a/b'd these, or owned and played both? I dig my mesa lots, but I don't dig the 90lbs that much;) The TF550 at 15lbs would be real nice to carry around...Can it hang with the mesa sonically....????????

2. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    They're different animals... had both a Thunderfunk TFB420 and 400+ for a couple years. The Thunderfunk has a somewhat different sound... not better or worse, but different. And it should -- it's not a full-blown tube amp. Both can provide growl, both can provide 'snap', etc... I personally prefer the sound of the 400+ and still play it, though of course it's significantly bigger (but NOT 90 lbs... more like 50-55 lbs). Both are great amps.

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    My 400+ weighs 87 lbs in the mesa shock rack. That's pretty dang close to 90 lbs...

4. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    ...although Mesa's leaden shock rack is probably about 40 lbs of that... I hear ya, I have mine in a Gator shock rack which itself weighs about 20 lbs, somewhat lighter than Mesa's but no lightweight.

EDIT: actually... the Gator shock rack may be closer to 15 lbs, I just plain forget...

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I don't use a shock rack with my tube amps, and so far, I have not had any problems. You could save a lot of weight by going with a "regular" rack, and probably be fine. Unless, of course, you tour on the road with rough-handed roadies. In which case, stick with the heaviest amp in the heaviest case, and let them worry about it! ;)

6. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Naw dude, it's just me bein' my own roadie. I could probably just switch to a plastic sbk...but then I'd get drunk and drop it fershure. I don't really drink that much, just the way my luck runs sometimes;)

seriously tho, that'd get the load down to about 60lbs, or 4 TF550's...

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Keep in mind, mgmadian is referring to a Gator shock rack. Their non-shock racks weigh less.

8. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    i have a mesa 2x15 cabinet with 4 casters on the bottom so i just set my 400+ on top of it and roll it...much easier....steps are a problem though....