mesa 400+ w/ 2 EA cxl-112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Boogie Boy, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Boogie Boy

Boogie Boy

Jan 26, 2003
    Anyone ever pair these together? How'd they sound? I need lighter cabs and at the same time good sound.
  2. Hey no response, It's been over a year!! :spit:

I was kinda wondering the same thing, but would 1 cxl-112 handle the 400+ or would it be a fartin' competition.
  3. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    It seems a lot of people have a farting problem with these cabs but I used to bridge a Stewart 1.2 into mine (700 watts) and it handled it fine. I was using an Aguilar DB659 pre and it sounded great. I like the combination of a hi fi cab with a warm tubey sound.

I should ad that this was one of the older models Cxl 112E.
  4. Well, EA does an amazing job squeezing a ton of bass response out of small speakers (drivers and boxes). But this is still a single 12" driver, there's still limits to how much bass boost and volume you can get out of that.... Unless EA has somehow included a small singularity in there to siphon power out of to help out.

Even if you say that 1 12" cab puts out the sound/volume comparable to a 4x10" cab, there are still limits to what a 4x10 can do also.

5. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    You need to assess the needs of the player. What style/volume of music is someone going to be playing? If its 240 bpm death metal polka gig requiring ear plugs then probably not 1 CXL. The second question would be what kind of sound the player is looking for? For most of my work I can get by with one CXL112 or one Wizzy. Completely different cabinets. Completely different sounds. Death metal polka is not really my thing. I do like the NL210 with the CXL112.
    Also how does the player play or what's in the hands? Using the 210/112 rig I have heard bassists using my settings and sound completely different.
  6. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm planning on running two CXL112's with my Bassman 135 (100watt all tube) head! I'm sure a 400+ w/CXL112's should sound AWESOME!
  7. Right now I have the peavey alphabass, I am very pleased with tone (ala 6 6l6's), but headroom is a bit of an issue. The next step is 400+ or more cabs or both. I play very aggressivly at times (claypool style chording), and play some reggae/funky rock as well with a loud drummer. I'm liking cleaner cabs, I like the EA, as well as the all tube head.

I've always liked my mesa 2x10, but I like the EA's clarity more. It's also not the loudest 2x10, and I'm sure with the cxl-112's efficiency it will give me more volume. So I'm going to AB the 2 cabs sometime this week hopefully, because of a straight trade deal I can pull off, but I won't have a 400+ to see how she handles that much tube power.

I guess I could get 2 cxl-112's and run the alphabass longer before upgrading to the 400+, But I'd really like to get the 400+ sooner and just run a single cab.

Has anyone paired a mesa 400+ with a cxl-112 or any EA stuff for that matter? Are they a good match?
    What kind of watts and styles fart these cabs out?

PS. I getting married in 13 days!!! :help:
  8. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I just got back from a friends house who wants to sell me two CXL112's. I took my Bassman 135 (100watts all tube) head, and my Pbass, and the tone, and volume where amazing!! The bassman is more than loud enough, and the CXL112's just give a wonderful full detailed tone that brings the most from the bassman that never got muddy. Now I just have to save some cash to buy them :hyper:
  9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    With a lower power tube head, EA cabs will work/sound really well. In fact, their inherent clarity can be a nice balance to a tube head that might be a bit on the dark/muffled side (and I'm not saying that all tube heads are, but some may sound that way).

However, I have found that with the more powerful tube amps (300-400w), my EA cabs (and most ported/vented cabs I have tried) don't care for the combination of high power output and low damping factor found in some tube amps. I generally prefer sealed cabs (like the Bergantino NV series) for the more powerful tube amps. Exceptions to this rule would be the Accugroove Whappo, Jr., ACME cabs, and my "Super Wizzy" 2x12's built by Steve Azola.

I guess my intial thoughts are that a Bass 400+ and two CxL-112's would not be an ideal match, but I could also see where that combination would have good clarity (and perhaps the 400+ would warm up the CxL-112's a bit in the low mids, which would be beneficial). I just fear that those 12's might be jumping around a lot with the lower damping factor (compared to a good SS amp).

10. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    A friend of mine has A DB728 w/Demeter pre going into a wizzy & a NL210 & it sounds very full. He can't run the 728 past about 2:00 o'clock & that's pushing it.
  11. Hi Tombowlus, Thanks for posting I'm a big fan of your gear list. :D
    To bassgreaser also,
    I was fooling around with the tubes in my alphabass last night, and got it sounding really clear, gooey, shimmery, big and bright, so maybe I won't 400+ it. Would you say the high efficiency of the cxl112 cabs with the lower power tube amp be able to keep up to the loud drummer. Keeping in mind I like to roll the tone back and Dub on occassion. Or does the extended lows get lost at higher volumes, like some have previously suggested.

What High powered with a high damping factor tube amps are out there?
  12. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I play in a 8 piece ska/rock/reggae band, and my Bassman/2 CXL112's is more than loud enough. you can check out the band at the Fabulous Rudies
  13. I'm just trying to find a little understanding :D

If 2 of them can get a stage level and handle the deep tone like in How can you save the world. Nice!

One's pushin though right?

So I just brought one home tonight it's the older heavier model, hopfully not as thin a low-mid. The other one is also an older model. I can't wait untill tomorow to play on it, stupid apt. buildings and late night rules. :scowl:
  14. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    yeah I would say one is pushin it for that lower end tone. I used a Danelectro DC bass with flats for all the tracks ;)
  15. Bassgreaser I'm very impressed, it sounds and reacts very nicely to the "low tube wattage" like you said, and Tombowlus thought they might. I still think a 400+ might just give me a little extra headroom. I don't notice a lack in low mids, very balanced, very clear and studio like, less low mids than most bass cabs, but very ballance studio wise IMHO. I'm going to be going through with this and aquiring the cxl112's if I can. Bass greaser's suggestion of 2 should be good volume wise, 1 maybe for small venues, but 2 should a plenty for a louder stage presence and jamin'.