Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400+ with a Bmax-t?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan T., May 9, 2005.

1. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Hi all, I'm new to these forums so take it easy on a rookie!

So would these two match well together? I like the fact that the Bmax-t would have a sonic maximizer and compression but would this even work properly with my 400+ or would it just be overkill to put this preamp in the mix?

2. i think the preamps are based on the old fender design. Just get a sonic maximizer and compressor separetly. some one correct me if wrong please.

3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Well, you're essentially putting a tube preamp, in front of a tube preamp, in front of a tube power amp. Seems overkill to me. Take a look at the BBE Maxcom, its a compressor and a sonic maximizer, without the additional preamp. Cheap too!

4. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    If you have a Mesa 400+, don't inhibit it's amazing tone by putting a sonic maximizer in front of it. In my opinion you already have one of the greatest bass amps ever made.

5. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    see that's partially what I'm worried about, I do use a Sansamp Bass Driver right now as well though and I've only found that this enhances my amps capabilities. I guess I'm mostly looking for good compression which is actually the only thing I miss about my svt-4. I've heard many good reccommendations about the sonic maximizers and stumbled upon the bmax-t and figured it might be good but alos realized it probably isn't exactly what I need with the amp I own.

6. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    thanks for the feedback thus far from everyone, anyone else? am I really barking up the wrong tree with this? thanks...

7. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Personally I think you don't need it. If you lack good compression, don't buy a BBE, buy a DBX. Buying and using a Sonic Maximizer strictly for it's compressor is a waste of money, put that towards a DBX 160 or similar compressor. It is much more suited to do the job you want it too, and it won't suck the life out of your tone.

One of the most common things I have heard when describing a sonic maximizer is that it will make bad tone sound "pretty good" (a good thing) and great tone sound "pretty good" (a step backwards from already having great tone).