MESA 400+ with Graphic / Parametric Eq???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by keoliphant, Dec 23, 2003.

1. keoliphant

Mar 11, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Is it possible to bypass the 7-band Mesa 400+ equalizer and use a parametric or graphic equalizer (thinking a Rane PE17 or DEQ 60)? I have a hard time getting a "non-muddy" tone when playing with acoustic guitars (plugged into a small PA) and figured this might be a way to really shape my sound.

If possible, how does it sound & how doe it work...where do I input from the EQ to the 400+.

If not possible or this is madness, please let me know! :D

Thanks for your help!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If it doesn't have a defeat switch, you can always just set the graphic flat and post-process with your parametric.
  3. keoliphant

Mar 11, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I took a look at the amp last night. No defeat switch, just a effects send & return on the front and back.

Out of luck?:bawl:
  4. there is a switch next to the graphic eq. that says eq in or eq out. Thats the defeat switch.
  5. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If you mean the eq yes it can be defeated, just as reason bass stated above. If you mean the preamp section, no I don't believe so or at least there is no "switch" to do so.:)
  6. +1 reasonbass

You'd want to put the eq in the effects loop (effects send and return on the back) and use the effects blend knob to mix it into your signal.

It should work great, but just using another eq instead of the onboard graphic eq doesn't make too much sense. With all the push-pull bright and boost switches on the 400+ you have plenty of eq capabilities. You might look into a BBE Sonic Maximizer or Aphex Aural Exciter which both do a wonderful job of removing mud from tone.