1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa 400+ with Winged "C"s..?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lefty_400, Apr 23, 2010.

1. lefty_400

lefty_400

May 18, 2005
    Currently I have a mix of 10 EH 6L6s in my 400+ along with a pair of original Mesa 6L6 (not my choice, bought it used loaded like this). Other projects have always put the 400+ overhaul on the back-burner, but I think the time has come.

Anybody running Winged "C"s in their 400+? I am curious how the tone/performance of the "C"s compare to a 400+ loaded with JJs, since the JJs seem to be the most popular retube option.

The difference in price is fairly significant (12 "C"s = $360, 12 JJ = $215 @ thetubestore). I don't have any direct experience with "C" 6L6s, but I really like their EL34s and 6550s. I don't mind paying the extra $150 as retubes for the 400+ will be far and few between for my needs, but at the same time I don't want to piss away money needlessly if their is no discernible improvement in tone and/or reliability.

Thoughts?

Lefty

2. I always seem to have reliability issues with the "C" tubes not sure why. Never any problems with the JJs and to my ears in a band mix there is no way you could tell the difference, if there is any. I have Electro Harmonix 6L6's in the 400+ and they sound nice and smooth.

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i've also had better luck with JJ 6L6's than winged C's, so if it were me, i'd get the JJ's.
    IME, EH 6L6'S (sovtek) are very reliable too.

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Not a 400+, but I've had both winged C and JJ 6L6GCs in my B15 and would definitely say they're comparable. I've never had a reliability issue with winged C tubes, and only had one fail after about 2 years of solid use. If it were me, and that was the price difference, I'd definitely go with the JJs.

5. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    I am using C's in my 400+, and I like em, but I bet I'd be just as happy with JJ's and a $150 in my pocket.

6. I have 6 winged C tubes in my Fender Studio Bass (200W). Pushes almost 500V to the plates and I have never had a problem with them.

Almost 6 months on them and I gig this amp almost every week for several hours.

The match between them is still about +- 1ma!!! I doubt NOS tubes would hold a match any better. I am thrilled but the prices of them just went up at the tube depot.