mesa 400?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ripper75, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    how do you make this amp louder. i love the sound! i am pushing the stv2 now and love the volume, but want the nasty growl of the ms400. Just worried the wattage is not enuff. i dont know much about pre-amps and such....?????
  2. What tubes does you Mesa 400 have in the power section, if you are finding its not having enough volume you probably have 6L6 tubes in the power section, and it'll give you ~150 watts, if you put 6550 or KT88's in the power section then you will get ~300 watts, which will be the same volume as your SVT (pretty much anyway)
  3. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    You can put 6550's or KT-88's in it, provided they are correctly selected for the Bass 400's fixed bias. There are a lot of threads on this stuff.

With 6L6's, I pushed my Master volume to around 7 for gigs and was usually a hair from overdrive (and I dont like overdrive). With KT-88's, Master runs at about 4-5 for most venues, and it loud and tight on the bottom.

A few of us here on TB have switched it up without any ill consequences. Here is an old thread on the subject.

Tombowlus had bias trim pots put in on his amp for added protection.