Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 4x10 and a 15 or 2-4x10's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Jul 10, 2001.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I already have 2-4x10 mesa boogie road ready cabs but I've been contemplating tradeing in one of them for a 15. How do ya'll think that this might improve my sound outside of a slightly lower range and what would you do if you were in my shoes?;)

2. well you don't indicate what type of music you play in your profile, but IMO, adding a 15 cab will just add unnecessary boom to your sound on stage and make the sound people in the venues you play in unhappy. if you play reggae, blues, country, etc, the 15 may work though.

3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I tend to playt more funk/metal than really anything else, but if adding a 15" ( I've never owned one) adds to much boom than why in the world would anyone play through just a 2-15" cab?

4. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I have a 2x15" which replaced my 1x18" on the bottom. I use a 2x10" on the top. I've read a lot of posts relative to the issue of boominess, and it really boils down to personal preference, style of music, and types of venues you play in. There are zillions of examples (including well-known professionals and TalkBass members) who use the bigger drivers on stage. They know what they want. There are also zillions of examples of people using nothing but 10" (or even 8") drivers. It really boils down to what sound you want - both on-stage and off-stage. As a generalization, and from what I've read in lots of threads, 10" drivers give a more uniform sound on-stage and off-stage, whereas 15" and 18" drivers tend to develop the strongest bass at some distance from the stage. Players who want more authoritative low bass out in the audience, and don't have a PA with big subs (me, for example), tend to get better results with the bigger drivers. This subject has been debated a lot in the past.

If you think your audience isn't getting enough deep bass, trading a 4x10 for a good 1x15 might be the solution.
    - Mike

5. I personally like the 1x15 and 4x10 combo together combination, if adds to your sound in my opinion.

6. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    the mesa 1x15 is suprisingly tight and punchy. you should at least try it out. i don't think it will add too much boom to your sound.

7. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    I use a MESA 4x10 with a MESA 1x15 and I think it's a great combination. The 15 adds more depth to the sound than anything. It doesn't really add a lot of really, really, low sub-bass freq's. It doesn't really get too boomy either, of course a lot of that depends on the room, but the MESA 15's are really tight and punchy, punchier than some 10's that I've heard. The 15 does project the low end a little better which helps when there is no P.A. support for the bass and I've never had problems in clubs where the bass did go through the P.A. Just watch your volume and don't get to happy with the bass control on your amp. It kinda depends on the rest of your setup and the sound your after.

8. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey, killer b is your rig the powerhouse 1000 or a seperate 15" and 4x10"? That would probably matter too huh?