Mesa 4x10 or 2x10 on top of 1x15...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by socalpyropunk, Aug 29, 2004.

1. well I currently have on order a 4x10 powerhouse with the idea of later ordering a 1x15. I've noticed a lot of people with the mesa 2x10/1x15 rigs. I got to thinking that maybe that would be enough for me and a good bit cheaper. cheaper is always better for me. Is the 4x10 worth the extra money and weight hauling around? how loud is the 2x10/1x15 setup. I plan to use a RMX 1450. How will it compare to my SVT 4x10(not currently loud enough, and I don't care for the tone)
    sorry for al lthe questions I'm just really trying to spend my money wisely.
  2. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Personally, I'd get the 2x10". It'd be a lot lighter and easier to stack, but if you need the extra volume, then get the 4x10".
  3. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I use the cab setup you're talking about. It's plenty loud..I've never felt the need for more 10's..there's is plenty of punch from an EV loaded 2x10 Boogie cab. In the photo, there is a QSC USA850 and that was plenty of power. In my current setup, I use a Mackie 1400.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I dont' think there's going to be a huge difference in volume, but there will be a noticeable difference in tone (remember my Hulk theory I explained to you?). I personally use the 2x10 + 1x15 setup most of the time, mainly for ease of transport rather than sound - even though it does sound great. However, I find that a 2x10 by itself doesn't really cut it for me, so for smaller gigs I always take the 15. If I were using a 4x10 + 1x15 setup, I'd probably take the 410 out by itself most of the time. I guess it just depends on what sort of sound you are going for: do you want more punch, or more lowend beef?

The 210 + 1x15 configuration is certainly the most popular setup we (or, I'd be willing to bet, most) manufacturers produce. It's a goood, balanced setup.

And the obligatory pic:

5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I use the 2X10, 1X15 powerhouses. For me, the 4X10 would just be too much. I loooove the 2X10, 1X15 combo. It's as easy to move around as the 4X10. If you want the 4X10, why not ruin your back with the powerhouse 1000?
  6. zoran

May 10, 2002
    Never tried 2x10+1x15, but I really like mesa 4x10", very punchy and loud cabinet, and definately enough for bigger venues too

7. lol...ya havn't followed my Mesa cab saga. I have gigged with an old Road Ready Deisel 1000 for a while. in the range of 140-160 pounds. I was going for the 4x10/1x15 for portability and configuration options. It just seems like I might be able to get by with the 2x10 on top instead. another concern is cost. I could probably order the 2x10 and the 1x15 at once, where as I'm stuck ordering just the 4x10 right now because I can't afford the 15 until I get some of my other gear sold. decisions decisions.

that 2x10 setups with the 15 really seems to be the best of both worlds in amix of tone and portability. I think I'm still leaning towards the 4x10 to get more punch out of it...........awwwww I hate these choices.

Ben, ya build any silver 4x10's yet? my current ETA isn't until end of september, I was hoping it'd be sooner
  8. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    GAS got the best of me and I just won a 4X10 Diesel on Ebay. I already have a 1X15, so now I've got myself a Mesa fullstack. I'd either use my Ampeg SVT-100 or BDDI/RMX850 depending on how much headroom I need.
  9. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'd go with the 2x10. You sound like your gonna be doing a lot of traveling... so I'd go for portability. You can gamble... and try to test the 2x10 and 1x15 separately as standalone's (when you've got PA support)... and if they dont give you the stage volume you need, than just stack em up every time you play. either way, I would think it to be easier. When you think of picking up the extra weight of the 4x10 AGAIN.. and AGAIN... and AGAIN. blegh.

I'm actually considering the future of my rig. I was originally thinking an Avatar 212 and 115... but now I might scratch the 115 in favor of a 210. Portability is my friend....
  10. E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    4x10's rock. Enough said. IMHO, however.

I know this isn't relevant to the subject, but the BMaxT through the RMX 1450 is the same rig I'm pursuing right now. Let me know how it goes when you get it.
  11. I don't mind the weight of a single 4x10. I'm pretty sure the mesa won't be much(any) heavier than my 91 pound SVT 4x10. some one just buy all my gear I'm selling to make this all easier on me please. :D
  12. Ya I think I'm going to like the tone of the 4x10. a bit more and the fact that we play outdoors a bit without PA support at parties I'd like to have more rather than less.

chances are I'm going to end up with the BMax..not the T, a deal I'm getting doesn't seem to permit the T. oh well.
  13. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I dunno the exact weight of the Mesa Boogie 4x10... but they can get ridiculous.

Ampeg BXT410.... 122lbs.... my portability hellhole :rollno: :crying:
  14. as far as I know the new Mesa POwerhouse cabs are not that heavy. I remeber Ben saying that the 1x15 was under 70 pounds or soemthing so I'm figureing the 4x10 to be in the 85-100 pound range.
  15. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Nope, haven't built any in silver yet. We built a few 8x10s today though... yow! My ears are still ringing from the guys doing the play tests, and I was standing 30 feet away!
  16. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF

I want to come work there... :(

Hey Ben, are you ever around the Hollywood shop? Could you let me know if you ever get a 6x10 in? :) I know they're like 40-45lbs lighter than the Diesel cabs.
  17. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Ummm... rarely. It's 9 hours south of the factory. I have no idea when or what they get; you might want to give them a call and put you on a waiting list or something.
  18. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sorry to revive this thread, but just curious, for anyone that possibly knows the answers or has opinions on these questions regarding the 1x15 + 2x10 setup:

1) How much DOES the Road Ready 1x15 and 2x10 weigh, respectively?

2) Can you get 6x10 or 8x10 type of lows from this combination or is it just not comparable? Any insight to the sound differences of the RR 1x15 + 2x10 versus any other cab(s) you have owned?

3) Do these have any sort of tweeter control on the rear?

4) Would an amp like my M-2000 give these cabs the power they deserve (i.e. be LOUD and ROCKIN') or does that just not cut it?

5) Who handles the servicing or replacement of parts for the RR anvil casings of these cabs? Can it be handled by a place like the Hollywood MB Outlet or would I get hosed and be better off going to a different source?

I'm doing some advanced homework on a list of rigs I'm considering for the coming year when finances are better. Who knows...

19. i know a guy that happens to to use a mesa 4x10 and mesa 1x15 witha fivestring musicman stingray and live it totally kicks
  20. not sure about that setup but since I made this thread I have received my 4x10 and I can tell you this blows away my ampeg 4x10 in the lows and clarity compartments. The SVT seems to have its own sound engrained into it. The mesa is VERY particular to amp and bass settings. everylittle adjustment I make makes a very noticceable affect i nthe sound. allows for much better tuning of your own sound. my new 4x10 is definatly more bright than the old deisel road ready 1000 I used to play with. that cab had HUGE bottom end. the old cabs have a tweeter rocker switch for off normal and bright IIRC and the new cabs have a normal, bright, and super bright toggle along with an attenuator. the old cabs do not have Speakon jacks but I guess that doesn't matter with your M-2000.

sorry thats nota description of the setup you were looking for but I thought it might help, and I love my new cab too much to not talk about it