1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mesa 4x10 or epifani 3x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tremor100, Jul 17, 2008.

1. tremor100

tremor100

Jul 28, 2006
    hey im using a little mark 2 and my main bass is a lakland JO skyline (jazz bass). Im looking for some bottom end but definition. I tried out the mesa 4x10 powerhourse and the epiphani 3x10. I thought they were both really nice cabs and they are aproximatly 1000 bucks. Both have the bottom end im looking for to accent the somtimes sterile tones of my LM2.. I notice the mesa had a very modern coloured tone, and the epiphani was a bit more laid back but warm. Just wondering what you guys think before i go and throw money down.. never hurts for and extra opinion or two. I play in a kinda powerpop alt rock band type thing.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Cabs/PowerhouseCABS/PHbass4x10-LG.htm

http://www.epifani.com/products/concert310.php

2. xtorrak

xtorrak Inactive

Jul 1, 2008
    I did and would again throw money down on the powerhouse 4x10. In fact, I just bought a 2x10, my gigs just aren't big enough for 4x10. (my room :))

3. I actually like that Mesa410 a lot (with that cool adjustable crossover). But man, over 20" deep and I believe almost 100 pounds... it's a big horse.

The 310UL is cool, and as you say, it's very wide and even. As I've posted many times, it is NOT a small 410, but rather a 'super' 210. It will not cover a loud gig like a 410, but of course is much smaller.

So, since you tried them both, I assume you know which tone you prefer. The decision IMO should be based on volume need and weight tolerance.

You might also try the new Bergantino AE410. It's a true 'small 410' (only 16" deep and about 64 pounds or so), is 4ohm so it gets the full power out of the LMII, and is IMO and IME a very nice match with the LMII... much louder and punchier than the 310UL... a little more 'rock gritty' sounding to my ear. I dig it. It's in the same price range.

IMO... as always!

K

4. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    Kjung hit the nail on the head as usual...the Bergie AE410 would put you somewhere in the middle of the 310UL and the Mesa 410 in terms of tone, while having much more volume than the Epi and much smaller size/weight than the Mesa. The best of both worlds.

5. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Springfield, IL
    Bass Gear Magazine
    I agree with vision on the UL310. In fact, you should buy mine in the FS forums:D. That was meant to be a funny more than a hijack. Anyway I really like the the way the UL310 performs with the LMII. Ken, I just picked up a series 1 UL 410 and I am not sure I like the voicing better than the S2 UL 310. It seems to have more mid presence for sure. Almost like the mid differnce when A/Bing the Berg AE410 to a UL410.

6. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    There is a HUGE difference in the mids between an S1 410UL and an S2 310UL...the S2 310UL is a fairly scooped cab while the S1410UL is a very mid prominent cab...

7. +1.. the 410UL(I) is definitely more mid punchy than the Series II cabs (especially the 310ULII), and at the same time, has a bigger bottom. The 410UL(I) also has that 'lack of politeness' (for lack of a better term) that I like so much with the AE410... that bit of raw upper mid grind that works very well with a J type instrument to my ear.

I just LOVE that cab with the LMII on a gig, but like anything else, it is not for everyone. Even the 410UL (II) has more mid punch than either version of the 310UL to my ear. All good stuff IMO, just depends on the mix and match, and what tone you want.

8. tremor100

tremor100

Jul 28, 2006
    thanks for the advice everyone

9. CliffD

CliffD Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2008
    This probably doesn't help, but I'm selling my Mesa PH1200 and getting an AE410. Yeah I know, a PH is a lot heavier than a 410 but to my back a 62lb 410 is heaven compared to a 100lb 410! From the online/call in research I've done the AE will give me a lot of the Mesa tone w/out the 15" speaker and massive weight.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021