Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 4x10 or Fender 4x10 & 1x15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Mesa 4x10 Cab

19 vote(s)
    86.4%
  2. Fender 4x10 Cab and Fender 1x15 Cab

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. I was wondering what you guys think is better. Would it be better to have a Mesa 4x10 cab alone, or a fender 4x10 and a fender 1x15 together. I would be running either setup through a Fender Bassman 400. I play progressive rock, sometimes a bit softer rock and sometimes harder rock. All input would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I've never played a Fender cab that I have been satisfied with. IMO Mesa makes KILLER cabs. I'de go with the mesa.

3. Here's my opinion. The mesa you can drive twice as hard as the fender bassman cab. And it's overall power handling is more than the fender 4x10 and 1x15 combined. ALso, just for the record, mesa cabs from my little experiience seem to reproduce the low end stuff quite well while the fender 4x10 is not ported so it would not have as much low end presence, but then again you have a 15" if you go that route. Personally i would go with the mesa, because its alot easier to haul a half stack then it is to haul around a full stack. And if you really wanted to, you could and a cheap 15" to the bottom of the mesa later and you'd still have the superior 4x10.... By the way, how much will it be costing you? (Also, what type of music do you play...should put that in the old profile;))

Graham

4. well i said what type of music i play in the question i asked. but i'll say it again, i play progressive rock. So it also varies from softer rock to hard rock and levels in between. Also, will it work with the bassman 400 amp, the mesa 4x10 that is, or will the cab be too much for the bassman 400?

5. No, you can underpower the cab as long as you arent cranking everythign full blast and clipping. You could power the mesa with 100 watts and still be fine as long as your amplifier is not clipping...

6. Well that's good to know, i figured that i think i'm gonna probably get a Road Ready 4x10 and then later on in future days, either another Road Ready 4x10 or probably a Road Ready 1x15 and then after that, a mesa head. Quick question though, i have an idea of what clipping is, but could you go into more detail.

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    There's a thread on clipping below.

8. Thanks. So basically i should be fine with the bassman 400 as long as i keep the gain down and just go through the volume?

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Get the Mesa cab and then work towards a Mesa head when you can swing it. From a tone perspective, there's no comparison.

10. To answer your question, Yes you'll be fine, and it's not even that you haveta keep the gain "down" and use all volume, on any amp, you should be adjusting the gain to the point that even when you play your hardest, that it isnt clipping. And then adjust your master volume as you choose.(Ie:crank it up, cuz who doesnt like volume!!??)

But you would be fine with that combination of cab/head, and also, from what ive seen and read, those fender heads are pretty nice...I like the double EQ idea with the footpedal....nice for slapping, soloing, etc....

11. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Mesa....hands down winner. Fender doesn't know how to make high quality bass amps and cabinets (even the new Bassman series - sorry). I don't say that lightly. I'm a Fender guy - '75 P and '96 RB5 in my bass life and a '52 Tele RI and '69 Super Reverb in my guitar life. But they still haven't got it right in bass amps and cabs.bbb

12. Now i do appreciate all of the help you guys have given me so far. Now what do you guys think of an Eden 4x10? How does it compare to the mesa 4x10?

13. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Quality wise I think they are comparable but they are 2 different cabs with 2 different sounds. both are not-notch pro-quality, use your ears.

14. Well that's what i had figured, but i guess i was wondering, what type of music would you use an Eden for?

15. sounds like you have your mind made up...you keep comparing meas cab's to everything else....I'm a mesa user too and I can say from experience get the mesa4x10 you won't be dissapointed..it will cover any type of music you'll play and withstand all the abuse(especially the roadready cabs)I've used a lot of different cabs and tried 1000's of others until I got mesa cabs(and head) and never looked back.the 4x10 is a great choise and you can always get the 1x15 later on...good luck....

16. Yeah, i was thinkin a lot about it today, and i have decided to go with the Mesa 4x10. As much as i would like to then right away get a Mesa head with it, i don't have to money to spend on that, so i'm gonna get the Bassman 400 and then later on, when i get the money, i'll purchase a mesa head. After that i'll worry bout gettin the 1x15.

17. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Get a friend to help you lift the 4x10, the Powerhouse weighs 131 lbs. and the RoadReady is 142.

18. Yeah i know, when i called for prices and all, i also asked them for the weights of the cabs. That's like one of the big things detering me from getting the cab, i can't lift it alone. So i'm definately gonna get a hand truck to move it around when i'm not goin up steps.

19. the hand truck is a good idea(unless you like hernia and back pain)I have a rr 2x15 and a rr 2x10 so I can sympathize...one more word of advice..be nice to your roadies :) congrats on your purchace..