mesa 4x10" vs aguilar 2x12"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zoran, May 23, 2003.

1. zoran

May 10, 2002
    It's time to upgrade my cab after playing Eden 212XLT few months. I played on mesa boogie 4x10" once and found that cab very close to sound I want but it was on open air so if anybody can compare that cab to aguilar 2x12" which is my second option but I didn't hear it. Aguilar is cheaper than mesa here in Europe. What is difference, and finally is aguilar can be as loud as mesa cab?:bassist:
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    What don't you like about the Eden 212XLT that you are hoping to upgrade? I have a 212XLT and an older Mesa Boogie Diesel 4x10 that I use together. Both are nice sounding on their own, and they complement each other well. I probably slightly prefer the sound of the Boogie on its own, but it weighs 120lbs, so I am proably going to either get rid of it, or mothball it for a while. If you can lug them, though, I think that the older Diesel or Road Ready Boogie 4x10's are some of the better 4x10s out there. That said, from what I have heard the newer Powerhouse cabs aren't quite up to par compared to the older ones. But I haven't A/B'd them myself, so that's just hearsay.

I am sure that the Aggie 2x12 is a great cabinet, but it is also going to sound a lot different from a Boogie 4x10. It's a matter of personal preference as to which one will suit you better. For that matter, the Eden 212XLT is a fine cab, too, and the Aguilar might not necessarily be an "upgrade." If possible, drag your 212XLT into the store and A/B/C all of them.

With regard to volume, a 2x12 can get pretty darn loud, but I'd think that given enough juice, the 4x10 is going to push a bit more air. I'll let the math wizards respond with the formulaic breakdown.:D

Hope this helps, Tom.
  3. zoran

May 10, 2002
    I like that cab a lot but I play with loud band so I have difficulties to hear myself on bigger venues. I know it's hard to find small and loud cab with big bottom I need, but think aggie 2x12" is closer to that point than eden. I really like the sound of 12" s. Also, my expirience on big stage with single mesa 4x10" is very pleasant.