Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mesa 4x10" vs aguilar 2x12"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zoran, May 23, 2003.

1. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    It's time to upgrade my cab after playing Eden 212XLT few months. I played on mesa boogie 4x10" once and found that cab very close to sound I want but it was on open air so if anybody can compare that cab to aguilar 2x12" which is my second option but I didn't hear it. Aguilar is cheaper than mesa here in Europe. What is difference, and finally is aguilar can be as loud as mesa cab?:bassist:

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    What don't you like about the Eden 212XLT that you are hoping to upgrade? I have a 212XLT and an older Mesa Boogie Diesel 4x10 that I use together. Both are nice sounding on their own, and they complement each other well. I probably slightly prefer the sound of the Boogie on its own, but it weighs 120lbs, so I am proably going to either get rid of it, or mothball it for a while. If you can lug them, though, I think that the older Diesel or Road Ready Boogie 4x10's are some of the better 4x10s out there. That said, from what I have heard the newer Powerhouse cabs aren't quite up to par compared to the older ones. But I haven't A/B'd them myself, so that's just hearsay.

I am sure that the Aggie 2x12 is a great cabinet, but it is also going to sound a lot different from a Boogie 4x10. It's a matter of personal preference as to which one will suit you better. For that matter, the Eden 212XLT is a fine cab, too, and the Aguilar might not necessarily be an "upgrade." If possible, drag your 212XLT into the store and A/B/C all of them.

With regard to volume, a 2x12 can get pretty darn loud, but I'd think that given enough juice, the 4x10 is going to push a bit more air. I'll let the math wizards respond with the formulaic breakdown.:D

Hope this helps, Tom.

3. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I like that cab a lot but I play with loud band so I have difficulties to hear myself on bigger venues. I know it's hard to find small and loud cab with big bottom I need, but think aggie 2x12" is closer to that point than eden. I really like the sound of 12" s. Also, my expirience on big stage with single mesa 4x10" is very pleasant.