Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 4x10 vs. Avatar 4x10 vs. Avatar 212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by murpbrad, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Mesa 410 8 ohm

12 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Avatar 410 4 ohm

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Avatar 212 4 ohm

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. murpbrad

murpbrad

Dec 1, 2004
    Abilene, TX
    I'm looking for a standalone and have a chance to get any of these 3 cabs for around the same price. I've been wanting to get a 4 ohm cab to get the full 1000 watts out of my power amp, but the Mesa is an 8 ohm cab which would give me around 700 watts. I'm always through the PA so I won't have to provide bass for the whole building, but I would like it to get loud so there is never a time where I can't hear myself. What are some opinions on which of these 3 cabs I should use as a standalone?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    That's a no-brainer. The Avatars are a great deal for the money, but not in the same league as the Mesa. Go Mesa.

3. i like 212 cabs, cant speak for avatar though. Mesa is however, a brilliant cab

4. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I've got the Avatar 212 and it's great. I would go that way if you play a 5. If you go for 4's I would look at the Mesa, although I have no experience with the cab. Randy

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    If its a super old Mesa that you might have to replace the speakers on to get the real Mesa sound out of, I'd go Avatar.

6. I voted for Mesa, but as chaos brings up, how old is the one we're talking about? They really are head and shoulders above Avatar cabs, and I say that as an avatar user.

7. murpbrad

murpbrad

Dec 1, 2004
    Abilene, TX
    thanks for the replies so far. the mesa is only a couple of years old. it's a powerhouse 410. my only concern was that i wouldn't be getting the full 1000 watts out of the amp. but 700 watts pushing that 410 should be plenty for me.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Apples to Oranges. Mesa's are higher end cabs. Avatar, despite being good at what they do, are low end budget stuff. For the same price? No contest. Mesa. Believe me, you won't hear any difference volumewise between putting 700 watts in a Mesa, and 1000 in an Avatar.