Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 4x12 + BB750 + Stingray=OMFG!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Danm, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Just dropped into the local Mesa dealer to have a quick look at what they had before I dropped the money on the Aguilar I was talking about before......

Was chatting to a mate of mine that works there & spied the 4x12..... He convinced me to give it a go before I decided what to do....

I was floored!!!!!!

They have really done their homework with these new 12 inch cabs.. The Neo drivers make it light enough for a 1 man lift too. I could easily get it up off the ground using the side handles but using the slide rails & Handles underneath I could easily get it in & out of my Jeep.

The sound was awesome... Don't quite now how to describe it other than it's the sound I've had in my head for ages & couldn't get with my current rig. Any sound we looked for we found easily and talk about loud!!!!!!

Anyhoo, going back next week when I get back from interstate & get the final figures from the boss man ( will be trading my current rig which I bought from them ). In the meantime, a few brownie points need to be earned with the missus.......

Try 'em out if you can..... Highly recommended...

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Nice! Finally something that even closely resembles a review on the mesa 12's. Hey when you pick it up please take pictures, lots of them :).

3. Please tell us the store where you tried this rig out at!

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I knew it Dan!

Do you think a Mesa would suit my situation? The whole old school rock vibe, but good for funk etc. And also good for alot of growl (Thinking ryan martinie, Mudvayne)..

More details! Whats the size of them? Think it could fit on the back seat of a falcon?

5. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Well, It was at Pro Audio in Canberra.

They are the Aussie importer/distributor for Mesa

I'm just a old school, classic rock, blues, indy kinda guy and like I said, it's what I've been searching for..

Hmmmm... Back seat of a Falcon, Probably, Check the Mesa site, it has the sizes then get out your mesuring tape..

The boys in the store were giving it a good old workout slapping/popping too, it sounded great!!! The overdrive section sounded good too, very adjustable......

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmmm, looks like it won't. It would maybe go in with a tight squeeze, except for the fact that the Falcon doors don't open up 90 degrees, nothing near it in fact. An Aggy 412 might be pushing it too, though i'd rather haul one 412 then two 212's and keep a 210 for band prac (I think).
    Npw just to decide what 412.. Anyone know how much EBS 412's are? :p

BTW Danm - You must be a unit, the 412 is 136lbs, 45" high, 24 1/2" W, 19 3/4" D and you found that allright for a one man lift? I need to get some more muscle :p

7. Dan, quick question: Have you heard the Aggie 4x12 yet or done a side-by-side comparison of it and the Mesa 4x12? I'm just playing devil's advocate here and suggesting that, although the Mesa may actually be superior to the Aguilar with this cabinet, you may have just been experienced the 'Wow' factor of a brand new cab you've never heard before.

As with anything, I'd suggest trying to compare the two before you finalize your decision....like I said, Mesa may have beaten Aggie with this one.

8. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Pop,

I wasn't talking about lifting it up over my head or anything... I'm about 5'11/85kg so I wouldn't exactly be classified as a big unit LOL.... I could however get it off the groung using the side handles, I guess it was about 10-12 inches off the ground.......

Mo,

Haven't seen an Aggie 4x12 here in Oz, the Aggie I was referring too earlier was the DB750 head I was thinking of buying ( it's either going to be that or a Big Block at this stage )..... Sorry to be confusing... Deffinately was some WOW factor there tho.

9. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Uh, where are those pics I demanded? :)

10. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah, still. I can't lift my 1516 :p

I know what you mean about Aguilar amps, I tried a 500 today. Nice smooth and punchy. I didn't like the o/d at all at first, but fiddling with it, taking out some bass, adding some more treble and presence made a nice o/d sound.
    and DAMN is that thing loud. Sure beat the 1000watt TE 12 band I played before it.