Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mesa 6x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andrew, Apr 8, 2004.

1. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    any mesa 6x10 users here? i'm curious how they compare to other 6x10 cabs on the market (bergie, swr, ampeg,etc.).

i've been eyeing a mesa powerhouse 1000 cab, but as a longtime user of 8x10 cabs i'm not sure if i'd be crazy about adding a 1x15 to my 10's or not, so now i'm thinking a 610 may better suit my needs.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Whatever you do, DO NOT add a 15 your setup if you haven't fully checked it out first. I bought a 1x15 Aguilar cab to go with my 4x10 once, on the "assumption" that it would give me a fuller low end response. Big mistake, poor assumption. Later, when I had the opportunity to A/B that rig onstage with a second matching 4x10, I found I got more low end from the other 4x10 than from the 1x15.

Just because the speaker is bigger, doesn't mean that it goes lower necessarily. Listen for yourself before you spend the dough.

3. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    The Powerhouse 1000 is very sexy. You don't want to add a crappy 1x15 to a good 4x10 so.....1x15's definitely handle nicely with 4x10s. In around 6 months I'm going to trade my Ampeg SVT-410HE and SVT-115E in for a Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 1000. *drool*

4. I got my 6x10 Mesa cab about a month ago. Used , about 4 years old. Sounds awesome. Great low end response. I am not sure how it compares to others, but I cant see anything being substantially better.

5. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    does your cab have the black grill or the silver?

6. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, what he said. I love 15's but even the best of them, like the GS-115 I had, doesn't do it as well as a 310 or 410.

From years of experience, I've come to the conclusion that 15's add a different kind of tone to your sound, something you can't necessarily measure in cycles per second.

Nightbass

7. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Be warned, though the Powerhouse 1000 is an excellent cabinet, it is by far the heaviest I have ever dealt with !!!! My buddy here in VA has a backline company and owns a Pwerhouse 1000 RoadReady. We call it the, "Gaaaaawd Cabinet" because that is the reaction people have when they ask to help lift it and then are stunned by its mass.

Fantastic cabinet though otherwise. I played a silver-grill 6x10 and it sounded great. The 2x15 version is nice as well.

8. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    is your powerhouse 1000 the black or silver grill version? the silver grilled cabs are supposed to be lighter.

how does the weight compare to an ampeg 8x10?