Mesa 800plus not support 1/4 jack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ElderBass, Jul 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ElderBass

ElderBass

Apr 22, 2016
    Just purchased a Mesa 800+ amp and tried to hook it up to my ampeg 2x12 , but there is not 1/4 jack on the Mesa .
    Anybody know what the hell I should do? Thanks bass world

StayLow likes this.
  2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Yes, you need to use a Speak-On cable with all Mesa Subway amps. There is not a 1/4" speaker jack on the Subway amps because they carries full dual international safety certification, which requires touch-proof connectors due to the voltage present and the fact that it is BTL topology. The output can swing over 100V, grabbing the shell of the connector if the amp is playing will get your complete and undivided attention.

Buying a SpeakOn cable isn't difficult or the end of the world, in fact it's a smart, safe upgrade.

3. ElderBass

ElderBass

Apr 22, 2016
    Would a speakon adapter be sufficient? Or a speakon to a 1/4 jack? I always thought it was lame that a new ampeg 2x12 didn’t have speakon jacks. I guess that’s why they are on the ropes .
    Thanks for the response !

StayLow, Aqualung60 and johnson79 like this.
  4. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Adapters don't prevent you from inadvertent disconnect and at the high wattage the 800+ puts out you could face some serious damage, so they don't really save much money. Go Speakon-to-Speakon for the win, and make sure they have genuine Neutrik connectors. Not the cheap stuff from Monoprice. You will have peace of mind and it really isn't that big an expenditure.

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I would recommend a cable that was SpeakOn on one end, 1/4" plug with heat shrink sleeve over the barrel on the other end, real Neutrik SpeakOn plug and a name brand 1/4" plug.

6. Wild_Bill_57

Wild_Bill_57 Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Cincinnati, OH
    Better yet, put a Speakon connector in the ampeg cabinet and use a standard Speakon to Speakon cable. Make sure to use real Neutrk brand connectors:thumbsup:

7. ElderBass

ElderBass

Apr 22, 2016
    Thanks very much for the advice!! This bass community really is the best. It is killing me to have a new piece of gear in the house and not be able to use it. I will pick up a cable tomorrow and maybe take a look at the Mesa cabinets.....

8. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I took all my monitors (five, IIRC) to my local mom-and-pop music store, and they removed the 1/4" jacks altogether and mounted a pair of Speakons to each cab. That was 7-8 years ago. Not had a problem with the cabs nor the cables in all those years. Cost me about $35 each.

Wild_Bill_57 and Geri O like this.
  9. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Ampeg may be a lot of things, but you better catch up on yer reading. Ampeg is most certainly not on the ropes

10. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Adding Speakon connections to cabinets is a given [if not already installed] and well worth the small investment.

BassmanPaul and Wild_Bill_57 like this.
  11. ElderBass

ElderBass

Apr 22, 2016
    Speakon addition seems very reasonable. As for ampeg, I’ve been with them for my whole bass career and am super pumped to see what they come out with next. Yamaha should be a good support system for them.

12. How old is this Ampeg cab that it doesn't have a speakon input? Or does OP just need a cable?

jeff7bass likes this.
  13. ElderBass

ElderBass

Apr 22, 2016
    The cab was released with reissue of the v-4B, somewhere around 2014. It’s a great sounding cab, but lack of speakon is kind of crazy .

14. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Go buy a speakon type wire.

15. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I had divine noise make me one, works like a champ. GC has them too.

musicman556 likes this.
  16. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I have the same cab, it’s quarter inch. I’ll switch it over someday

17. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    He can't. His cab only has ts

18. Govner22

Govner22

Jan 19, 2013
    Also make sure to disconnect the speakon cable when you’re using headphones. If I forget my daughter in the next room reminds me that my Mesa Diesel 1x15 still packs a punch.

19. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Chrome Dome likes this.
  20. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    As AH has said, that is pretty much what you don't want for a Speakon to jack cable. The jack body is metal, and would be live when used with many modern amplifiers. It needs to be covered with shrink wrap, or failing that tape. It surprises me that Neutrik don't seem to make a jack with an insulated body, but maybe there are regulatory/standards reasons.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021