Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa + Acme anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dnburgess, Apr 29, 2004.

1. dnburgess

dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    Does anyone use a Mesa 400+ with Acme speakers? What has your experience been?

Thanks

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
  3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i love my Aguilar DB359 with my Acme's.

sometimes, i wish i had a bit wattage, cause its not as tight as i'd like the rig to be with my Low B string, but for regular 4 strings, its suuuuuuuuch a sweet sound. with acmes you hear every bit of that tubeyness unencumbered.

would love to run a parallel out to a DB728, tho! that'd rock big time. :bassist:

4. Did I hear my name? Actually I've had great success with the Aguilar into two B2s... tone to die for and headroom available.

However, realistically there are some things to consider. If you are playing LOUD rock or death metal and crank the bass control all the way up you might find yourself underpowered. FWIW, I set my preamp nearly flat (allowing minor adjustments for the room) and use the tone controls on the bass.

5. dnburgess

dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    Thanks - sounds like you'd have no problem with the Mesa 400+ (the power of which is rated slightly higher than the DB758) driving 2 B2s.

6. cmassa

cmassa Hello. My name is Chris, I'm a bass-aholic.

Nov 27, 2001
    Chicago
    an have used it with my Mesa 400+. But I do play Loud rock too and for that I use SVTPro4 bridged.