Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa All Tube 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plain Old Me, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I saw this amp on their website, and plan to go to the local Mesa dealer soon, but I couldnt find an impedance rateing anywhere. Anyone know the Ohm spec on it?

2. 300 watts @ 8, 4, and 2 Ohms

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  5. From the catalogue: "No less than twelve fan-cooled 6L6 output tubes deliver 500 watts of transient power peaks..."

Mike

6. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Yeah, they said it, Peak Power. Most other companies measure RMS, which is basically the average. 500W Peak is 300W RMS, so when comparing it to other amps, call it 300.

7. Who cares about the watts... Its LOUD!

8. Yup, it says that and it's true. However, peak power isn't a meaningful measurement of an amp's power. Any 300W amp can do 500W peaks. Mesa's just using this as a marketing tactic. You can't get 42W continuous clean power out of a 6l6. 25W is about maximum.

That being said, the 400+ is a fantastic amp and louder than hell, so the power spec doesn't really matter.

9. I wasn't trying to claim that the amp is a true 500 watts, rather, I was just quoting the catalogue in an attempt to clarify Mesa's rating.

Mike

10. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    it's just the best amp I've ever owned, say no more

David T

11. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Although I haven't tried many other tube amps, +1. I love it.

There have been a lot of threads about this... I think it puts out even less than 300. It's still loud as hell though.

12. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    286 chest pounding watts.

13. Groovehunter

Groovehunter

Dec 3, 2004
    don't worry about watts.

this amp will make people sick in the back row of a concert.

It puts out a lot of punch. I cant turn it past 2 on the master!

It's an animal, the bottom end is like a black hole. Deep and dark.

14. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    That is absolutely correct!
    RMS, peak wattage, whatever---
    It the 400+ isn't loud enough for someone's style of playing---I'm not gonna come to that gig!!! :D

15. Groovehunter

Groovehunter

Dec 3, 2004
    dude I reckon if I turned my masterup on it past 4 it would cause an earthquake. It should come with a health warning.

16. Are u near orlando, fl? The guitar center here has one used for 799.99$ and u could try it out...

17. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    My buddys 400+ is the real deal. He has it powerring two Mesa 2x15's, and all I can say that with the gain about 1/3 of the way up, that's enough to shake the building.

18. Thats what the tube power amp will do for you! Thanks to those who answered my tube power amp questions a while back!

19. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I played a decent size club in Worcester Ma, last night with the 400+ and a 8-10 and it was very loud. I hav Sovtek 6L6WXT+ tubes in it and it has a very definate SVT ROAR Very defined and a lot of GRUNT